Hi. Just yesterday, I noticed a definite electric 'tingle' when grabbing the rail at the steps to climb out of the pool. Just to ensure I wasn't imagining things, I had my wife touch it...she felt the same. Needless to say, we got the heck out I tested between the water and the rail with a voltmeter...I got one volt momentarily, then nothing since. To experiment, I turned off the breaker to the pump, SWG, and pool light...no difference...still the 'tingle'. I turned off the 'main' breaker to the house...still the tingle. I only feel the tingle on the hand rail at the steps...nothing at the ladder in the deep end (both stainless...see photo). Just as an experiment, I tried grounding the water back to the earth ground using an aluminum plate and copper wire (see the other photo). No help...still the 'tingle' at the rail at the steps.
Fearing that I had a nick in the underground service to the house, I called the utility company...they sent two guys. They disconnected the line power at my transformer...still the tingle. They then disconnected the power to my neighbor's transformer (150ft away)...still the tingle. He checked all of the service grounds, as well as the bonding for the pump motor, SWG, the pool (we think...6 gauge wire coming from under the pool deck)...still the tingle. They really went above and beyond. Still they couldn't find the source. Tomorrow, they are sending out their 'stray voltage' expert with more sensitive equipment, probes, etc. We'll see what happens.
This is the third summer we've swam in this pool. Last night is the first time we've noticed anything strange. The only thing different this year I switched from puck chlorination to SWG (Intellichlor IC60) in the spring.
My question is this...could the chemistry of the salt water pool be creating a battery, supplying enough current to give us a tingle at the rail?