Lower TA

Test results as of 1 hour ago
    FC 4.5
    PH 7.8
    TA 160
    CYA 70
    CAL 260
    Salt 3400 ppm

Our TA is high and has been this season I would like to get it down but after reading how to do it I'm a bit confused. I used the pool calculator to try and adjust it using acid this didn't seem to effective. So as I understand it you lower your PH with acid and then add soda ash,as this will lower your TA but raise you PH?

Any help I know I'm over reading it thanks in advance
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lower TA

You lower pH with acid and then aerate to bring pH back up. The aeration is exactly what you're doing when you shake a bottle of soda pop.

There's really nothing wrong with your TA. As it says in the how-to article
    You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

No. You add acid to lower pH and TA, then aerate to raise the pH back up so you can add more acid.

There is NO reason to bother doing this unless you think your pH is rising too quickly.

The process is in Pool School: How To Lower Total Alkalinity

- - - Updated - - -

Wow ... those 2 posts are nearly identical in structure with different wording
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    No. You add acid to lower pH and TA, then aerate to raise the pH back up so you can add more acid.

There is NO reason to bother doing this unless you think your pH is rising too quickly.

The process is in Pool School: How To Lower Total Alkalinity

- - - Updated - - -

Wow ... those 2 posts are nearly identical in structure with different wording

Copycat!
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks allot for pointing me in the right direction my wife was right she said it was ok not to lower it.
    Lots another one...lol
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

6. Back To Top    #6

This is my first year w pool so I'm no expert but my experience is that it took repeated applications of acid to get TA down. I'm finally down from 150 to 50 now. Added acid to get ph down to 7.0 or 7.2. The ph tends to climb back pretty quick anyway so don't get to anxious about aeration But you will have to keep dropping it down w acid every 3 to 4 days to finally get your TA down. Took about 3-4 weeks for me.

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014