Choosing a type of pool

VinceL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2012
Newton, NC
I'm not sure where to post this thread. If it is in the wrong area, could a moderator please move it.

The types of pools that people here on TFP either have, are building or are planning fall into what I consider to be one of four categories:

1. In-ground gunite
2. In-ground vinyl
3. In-ground fiberglass
4. Above ground

In my very unscientific review of posts it appears that the popularity of the four pool types is:

1. In-ground gunite
2. In-ground vinyl
3. Above ground
4. In-ground fiberglass

As an extremely happy owner of an in-ground fiberglass pool, I am puzzled/curious about why fiberglass pools are not more popular. :confused:

What were/are the top 3 or 4 criteria for choosing the category of pool that you built or are building?

Well given the few nightmare fiberglass install threads we have seen on the forum ... I am not sure I would ever want one. :D

A gunite is a fairly permanent structure which can be resurfaced; vinyl pool can have the liner replaced as needed; I think fiberglass pools are not as durable, the finish can go bad, and then be expensive to repair or you have to start completely over.

Maybe I am ignorant about my reasoning though ;)

The pool types are also VERY regional. Colder climates tend to have mostly AG pools

I had that exact same question when looking into building a pool. Out here in AZ everyone, and I do mean everyone, seems to have shotcrete/gunite and that's considered the standard. Even suggesting using another type got me weird looks from my home builder and family out here, lol. I could not find a vinyl PB (at least a non-craiglist one) for the life me. And I found maybe 1-2 Fiberglass builders (1 going out of business and the other in Tucson). The one official fiberglass PB gave me an estimate that was at the same or higher as shotcrete PBs :( When I asked other PBs about why Fiberglass was not considered here, most said it was because of the harsher climate on the fiberglass finish, plus cracking or popping out, or that it was just way more expensive which was true in one case. A traditional (and super big name) shotcrete builder gave me a quote on a Leisure Fiberglass pool, but for $8k+ over shotcrete version. Honestly though, I would not mind a fiberglass pool, just for the simplicity of it.. but I'm not going to take the chance at being the one outcast in AZ with a fiberglass pool when it comes to trying to resell. So I'm running with the herd, shotcrete for meeee!

FG were smaller than we wanted.

Like the solid feel vs vinyl. I seem to read a lot of threads about wrinkles, not smooth bottoms, liners unattaching at the top, etc.

But there are probably just as many problems with IG but since it's what I wanted, I'm more accepting of dealing with them.

I think like jb said, it's mostly climate based. In GA many pool builders go for vinyl, and fiberglass was more expensive and considered luxury/high-end. Also because of its restrictions compared to vinyl/concrete, many people won't choose it. You will not find any fiberglass pools deeper than 8 feet, or wider than 16 or so. It has to fit for transport on the truck or they can't make it.

I would be interested in seeing those nightmare fiberglass threads! Link link!

edit: omg I did a forum search for fiberglass, and jb's right, nightmares indeed!

Again I see it as a combination of regional trends, and limitations of each construction method, where I live in southwest Louisiana I would estimate based on google maps overhead view, houses I have been to, etc. That about 75% of non seasonal area pools are in ground, the vast majority of those above ground pools are smaller basic pools with little decking, etc. Of the in ground pools 75-80% are vinyl liner pools, of the rest most are concrete of some type, with a few fiberglass pools mixed in. By comparison in the Houston TX market just 150 miles away, it seems gunite dominates the market.

As to the limitations in my opinion , fiberglass is the most limiting in many ways, it is generally limited to smaller shallower pools, can suffer from many potential installation and care problems, and cost of major refurbishment is high.

Plaster pools tend to cost the most for the size, chemistry is a bit more difficult to deal with due to pH drift from curing plaster and stricter CH concerns, major maintenance is a big deal, replastering must be done about as often as higher quality liners must be replaced on vinyl pools.

Vinyl pools are generally the cheapest to install, and cheapest to maintain (liner replacement cost vs replastering), but suffer from more feature / shape limitation than the other types.

I chose FG for several reasons.
1 Limited space in yard
2 Didn't need a deep pool
3 Cost differential in our situation was less than a concrete pool.
4 used a quality FG manufacture. Love the smooth finish
5 Did not want expense of resurfacing
6 And yes your limited to designs but we found what we liked. Not interested in spa with pool.
7 TH pop outs are rare and usually due to improper install, bad install and high water table.
Those are just my 2 cents worth. Nothing against other styles. This is what works best for us

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked long and hard at fiberglass. I ended up going with gunite for two reasons, my lot is steep so it felt that it's would offer better stability and I couldn't find many folks to install one. I also found fiberglass to be just as expensive.

We went with gunite for a couple of reasons. Firstly you are limited to what you can do with a fiberglass pool to the shapes they already have, especially if you want a wide one as they are limited to what can come on a truck. That wasn't our issue though. We really wanted a tanning shelf and spa and it was over $20K to add these to an already expensive pool shell, when with gunite we could get at least the tanning shelf included for the same price as the pool, it also didn't have to be outside the perimeter.
We almost went with a fiberglass with a built in spa, but I really like the gunite builder we were talking to, and loved the fact that the pool is my own design.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.