Hard piping 16" Intex sand filter on Pro Series pool

Jun 12, 2014
marshfield, ma
Hello all,

I have a Pro Series pool with the standard skimmer. My goal is to keep the original skimmer and pump and add a new 16" Intex Sand filter to pull water from lower in the pool and improve water movement. I plan on hard piping up and over the side of the pool.

My questions are:

1. The sand filter came with plunger valves, is there any value in using these valves or adding ball valves on either the inlet or return? Is this important when backwashing etc.?

2. Does the fact that the piping comes up and over the side above the water level require any special consideration when setting this up? Will I need to find a way to prime the pump myself?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greg

It is best to have valves between the inlet and pump and between the filter and return. As far as I know the pump should have enough power to self prime, but a better solution is to cut an intake opening or to remove the pump from the skimmer and plumb the new pump below the skimmer.

Ended up just going for it and getting this done yesterday. I put ball valves on the inlet and return just in case even though I could just pull the pipes out of the water to service the pump, I figured it may make it easier to clean the basket without having to disconnect the pipe. The water movement from this unit is staggering compared to the skimmer pump. I think next year before I open the pool I will cut the inlet and returns into the actual liner and I may plumb the skimmer inline with the other inlet.

I know everyone likes pictures, so I will try to snap a few before the hurricane rolls through here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.