Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool turned Green in a Few Hours

1. Back To Top    #1

round top, texas

Pool turned Green in a Few Hours

New member and this is my first post. I have a 35,000 gal salt water pool that up until a few hours ago was beautiful. Around 10:00 this morning I left home and when I I returned around 2:00 this afternoon, my pool was totally green. PH was good as I added a little acid this morning and also added a little chlorine as It was a bit low. The weather here today is very hot and humid. I just can't believe how fast this happened. I am shocking heavily right now.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool turned Green in a Few Hours

Welcome to TFP!!!

Likely it did not happen quickly. Likely the algae was grow for quite some time and finally became visible.

What does "a bit low" for the chlorine mean? What is your CYA? That determines your required FC levels based on the FC/CYA Chart.

Please post up a full set of test results and what test kit you are using.

To clear the pool up, you should not nuke it with chlorine, you should follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and to do so requires one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Pool turned Green in a Few Hours

Just so we're all on the same page, is it cloudy milky green, or clear emerald "green river soda" green?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry