Pump shuts itself off

DPawlu

Aug 4, 2011
Central New Jersey
Hi. I have a Hayward SuperPump II (1 hp) and it was running great up until last night. Last night, it just stopped running. Flicked the switch off then back on and nothing runs.

Today, I flicked the switch and it started running but only at about 1/2 speed, then shut itself off after about 20 seconds. Then, on/off and nothing happens. If I wait 30 min, it will run again, but shut itself off again.

Are these pumps servicable? Do pumps have an auto-shutoff if something bad is happening?

Thanks!

They have a thermal switch to turn them off. Sounds like the motor is over-heating ... weird that it ran at lower speed though. Was it louder? Could be bearings, but could also be a problem in the windings.

I think it might be time to upgrade to a 2-speed motor to put on your existing pump.

Depends on how well the motor was protected from the elements, but with products these days, I would be happy to get 8 years out of a motor ... I am not sure what the "normal" life expectancy is.

Like I said, you do not likely need a new pump, just a new motor (ideally a 2-speed) and $20 shaft seal.

My pump/motor (Hayward Super II) just started doing the same thing a couple days ago. At first I just thought my timer was acting up. But then I noticed the timer was still switched "on" but the pump was not running. I cycled the switch but no change. I noticed the pump motor was VERY HOT. Having never touched the pump motor before, I don't know how hot they are suppose to get but this seemed too hot. After letting it sit off for a half hour I turned it on and the pump ran fine. I've been running it at night now since the temps here in nor-cal have been over 100 lately and it seems to be doing ok. I think my pump is about 7-8 years old too.

Jason, tell me more about the 2-speed motor. Is it just a matter of finding one with the right mounting flange? Do they save electricity (money)?

-Todd

You should be able to leave you hand on the motor for a little while. When my Hayward RS failed, it was HOT ... like water sizzling hot and the stickers discolored. Eventually when I was cycling it, there was finally a big spark out the back as something gave up.

Yes, you would just need to find a motor with the same flange (there are some where there is a diameter consideration ... not sure if it is this pump though). A 2-speed will move half the water on low as on high, but requires 1/4 the power to do it. So if you double the run time on low to move the same amount of water, you still save 50% of the power cost. Likely you would not actually need to double the run time though.

You will need to add a switch (a 3-way house light switch is a good option) to manually select the speed ... or you can add a timer which is not really needed. Normally you would run on low all the time and switch to high for backwashing, vacuuming, etc.

Thank you for the info. One more question though regarding the 2-speed motor. My system uses a single 1.5 HP pump to run everything including waterfall, spa, and more importantly the Polaris 360. Can I still use a 2-speed on low and operate the Polaris as normal. Typically the Polaris is running anytime the pump is on (unless there are people in the pool). There is a Jandy valve just off the pump that splits the flow between the filter/heater and the Polaris.

-Todd

Low speed may not be enough flow to run that cleaner, so you might want a timer to switch speeds so the cleaner works for part of the day.

EDIT: Normally I would split these posts off for hijacking the OPs thread, but my responses may actually be useful for the OP so left this here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
EDIT: Normally I would split these posts off for hijacking the OPs thread, but my responses may actually be useful for the OP so left this here.

OP here, no problem with me. This discussion IS useful to me so please discuss...

If I wanted to replace just the motor (SP3010EEAZ), how would I go about that? If I found and ordered the part, is it straightforward for an experienced DIYer to replace? Is the $20 shaft seal a difficult install?

Thanks!

It is not too hard.

A few bolts to split the pump.
Unhook the wiring.
Hold shaft and remove impeller.
Remove bolts holding motor.
Remove seal.
Install in reverse order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.