New crack has developed in my pool

mendnl

May 27, 2014
Casa Grande, AZ
First of all thanks in advance, love the site and advice and have been a longtime fan, and I wish I was first time posting on a happier occasion.

I live in AZ between Phoenix and Tucson. For those that weren't aware we recently experienced an earthquake further away...we didn't notice anything here in terms of shaking but apparently my pool did.
Today I just noticed a brand new crack on my lowest stair of my 10,000 gallon pebbletec play pool.

It is relatively a newer pool somewhere between 5-10 years, and closer to the 5 as the house is not even too old. The crack is about 12-15 inches long from what I can see. It is located on the top of the stair...the crack does not wrap around down the side of the stair nor does it extend to the edge of the stair on either side. I will try to attach a picture. I do not see any further damage anywhere else in the pool.

What should be my level of concern here? Is this a simple surface crack or something more troubling?

Can this be left alone or does it need repair? If so what are my options...I like to think myself pretty handy...can I patch this myself?

If this indeed needs repair what is my timeline? Can it wait until the end of the season, until the start of next season?

Any help is appreciated, thanks all!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I read about the earthquake, but did not notice it ... not sure if it happened while we were at a party with 4 15" subwoofers running or if we were already on the drive home :D

Hopefully it is just a surface crack in the plaster and not something in the shell. I think I would try to patch the crack to prevent water from getting behind the plaster and see if you have any further issues. If you are not noticing a water leak, I think it would be a good idea to wait for cooler weather before partially draining and repairing.

Please add a more specific location (City, State) to your profile and pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

I'd call your homeowners insurance and have them come out and figure out what to do. The only way to determine of the shell cracked is to drain down the pool and remove the pebbletec finish. But, you'd have to do this anyway to repair the finish.

I'd call your homeowners insurance and have them come out and figure out what to do. The only way to determine of the shell cracked is to drain down the pool and remove the pebbletec finish. But, you'd have to do this anyway to repair the finish.

This probably varies by state, but we had a huge number of smallish earthquakes here last year (I think it ended at about 20) and I am sure that earthquake wasn't covered on my homeowners. I was told there was one company in the state writing earthquake policies. Also, I don't know about other states, but coverage for pool equipment if it is stolen is about all I can count on for any coverage as far as damage to my pool. Any "normal" damage is pretty much my problem. They wouldn't touch a problem with my finish - maybe if a car drove into it they might.

OK so Casa Grande AZ is the location...average daytime temps are hitting 115° with nighttime temps of 85°…way too toasty to drain...I was going to see if I could hold off a drain and fix until at least August or September.

I also can't figure out how to upload a pic...I have several waiting.

Also my homeowner's insurance would likely be pretty useless...the deductible would seem to be way too high for a company to come in and do it...but thats more my opinion than anything.

pool_resize.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

pool2_resize.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not the best close up given my camera isn't waterproof and it's the last step...hope it helps...the crack you see is literally on the top...again it does not wrap around down the side of the step, and does not extend to the end of either side of the step...it does not appear deep, but hard to gauge in water. Mainly I am looking to patch for structual reasons, asethics are not too high up on my priority. Lower cost and diy is a preference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.