Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about supplementing a sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about supplementing a sand filter

Has anyone ever tried one of these things to supplement a sand filter?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_565737-42805...BF_4294610223_

Mind you I would never buy that specific thing however the idea of getting a $30 submersible pump along with some PVC and connecting it to a decent paper cartridge (basically what the makers of that thing did but at total cost about $80 instead of $600) does seem workable.
    30 year old, 17,000 gallon pool (w/spa), IG, Plaster, Pentair Triton II TR-100 600#Sand Filter, Pentair Superflo 340043 1.5 Hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about supplementing a sand filter

Something along those lines is great for saving energy, but isn't likely to improve you filtering (unless your current filter is actually broken). Even a slightly undersized sand filter is more than enough for any pool. Nearly everyone who thinks they need more filtering actually has a water chemistry problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I suppose it could work. Have you tried putting a little DE in your filter? That is supposed to help quite a bit.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Currently in the middle of a SLAM and have been dealing with almost no improvement to cloudiness for over 10 days now. Sand filter just doesn't seem to be able to catch the particles even with a cellulose/DE additive.

The whole thing is documented in this thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-fix-the-swamp

Right now whatever is in the water just seems to pass straight through the sand filter and go back into the pool which is why I am considering trying a kitbashed together cartridge system to get whatever this is out of the pool.

Only losing 1ppm FC overnight so I doubt that there is very much left in the way of live organics still in the pool.
    30 year old, 17,000 gallon pool (w/spa), IG, Plaster, Pentair Triton II TR-100 600#Sand Filter, Pentair Superflo 340043 1.5 Hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The filter might be channeled. Try doing a deep cleaning of your filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    The filter might be channeled. Try doing a deep cleaning of your filter.
    I just did that a little over three weeks ago before starting the SLAM. No signs of channeling at the time.

However this morning I added just a bit more cellulose to the filter than the directions on the package called for and (*surprise*) about an hour ago saw a huge spike of 12psi.

So after backwashing, I went ahead and added the same amount again as I did this morning to see if it continues to improve the performance.

(Crossing fingers)