Can I do the DPD-FAS chlorine test in my magnetic stirrer?

salinda

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
Los Gatos, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Can I do the DPD-FAS chlorine test in my magnetic stirrer? I have the original PS233 from PoolSolutions (don't worry--I update reagents occasionally) and it came with 2 Taylor sample tubes, one of them clearly marked "Chlorine test only." My stirrer is not the Taylor one but has a glass beaker and a plastic-coated stirrer. Is there a contamination issue or something? I have always wondered about this and it's the only drop test I am still mechanically swirling all these years.

Also, which reagents and indicators "go bad" more quickly?

You can use the stirrer for everything, there is no contamination if you rinse everything.
The chlorine only tube is just because the FAS-DPD test can discolor the plastic tube (you can clean it with muriatic acid).

You can find info about knowing when reagents go bad in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions or Taylor also lists the info on their site somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.