Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PoolMath - Salt Level and CSI

1. Back To Top    #1

PoolMath - Salt Level and CSI

Ok i've been using this tool to determine if i'm balanced, but have a few questions.

First when i select the selected goal levels for a trouble free pool, SWG, vinyl liner. Nothing is put in the Salt field and TA is 100 which i thought it should be lower and CH is 260 which i thought you don't need any at all.

My pool current measurements are

FC 4.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 170
    CYA 50 (could be a little higher since i only added more a couple of days ago)
    Salt 3200
    Temp 84-86

Now temp 84 CSI is -.31 just out of 'Balance' and Temp 86 is -.29 just in 'Balance'

As the temp drops it goes more out of 'Balance' unless i raise my CH, which i should not have to

Rgds
    Located in Ottawa, Ontario Canada
    23K Gal, AG, Cart filter, 1.5hp 2speed hay PowerFlo Matrix, Install Sum'13, Aquatrol SWG, Solarbear panels, kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac, TF-100
    Artesian ~500gal Grand Gayman Island Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PoolMath - Salt Level and CSI

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    Ok i've been using this tool to determine if i'm balanced, but have a few questions.

First when i select the selected goal levels for a trouble free pool, SWG, vinyl liner. Nothing is put in the Salt field and TA is 100 which i thought it should be lower and CH is 260 which i thought you don't need any at all.

My pool current measurements are

FC 4.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 170
    CYA 50 (could be a little higher since i only added more a couple of days ago)
    Salt 3200
    Temp 84-86

Now temp 84 CSI is -.31 just out of 'Balance' and Temp 86 is -.29 just in 'Balance'

As the temp drops it goes more out of 'Balance' unless i raise my CH, which i should not have to

Rgds
    You can go as negative as you want on CSI with your vinyl lined pool. You won't be leaching Calcium out of the plaster and etching the surface. If CSI goes positive, you run the risk of scaling, same as everyone else.

Again: Low CSI doesn't matter on a vinyl pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: PoolMath - Salt Level and CSI

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    Setting up the Suggested Goal Levels section towards the bottom causes little "Goal: x - y" messages to appear, but it doesn't change whatever number you happen to have in the Target column. You need to enter the Target numbers yourself based on what you are trying to do.

Goal levels for salt vary widely depending on what brand of SWG you have, so it doesn't show a goal level for salt.

By and large you should just completely ignore the CSI section. As long as you stay in our recommended ranges you don't have to think about CSI at all. CSI only becomes important if TA or CH levels have to be well outside of our recommendations.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School