Solar Power AND ODK Lighting Options ?

May 14, 2014
pace,fl
Hey Folks - me again ! :)

Have progressed on build (will post new pics). Just about ready to skin the frame but having second thoughts about whether or not I need to run electric to the island. I am sure it would be very handy (especially for frig) but other than that -- my only needs would be for occasional outlet needs for "whatever" and lighting.

Which brings me to ask:

- Has anyone used solar to power their electric needs on their island ?? If so - please give me your feedback.
- Has anyone used battery supplied power inverter and just recharged their batteries as needed?

Finally - need some reasonably priced lighting options. Not sure if I want single spaced out lights for under bar counter and around rest of island or to go the LED strip route. Any solar light options to use here?

Any other ideas ? Any pics you have and buying sites would be helpful - thanks!

This is very interesting I will be following this post.

I'm guessing you would need some sort of battery storage and extra ventillation. Could it be simple enough to buy a fuse box and connect solar panels and batteries all together? You would have to watch your amps and not go over. I'm no electrician but I would love to see this work!

I wonder what the cost analysis for buying and hooking up all equipment vs. having an electrician run electrical?

Hey Folks - me again ! :)

Have progressed on build (will post new pics). Just about ready to skin the frame but having second thoughts about whether or not I need to run electric to the island. I am sure it would be very handy (especially for frig) but other than that -- my only needs would be for occasional outlet needs for "whatever" and lighting.

Which brings me to ask:

- Has anyone used solar to power their electric needs on their island ?? If so - please give me your feedback.
- Has anyone used battery supplied power inverter and just recharged their batteries as needed?

Finally - need some reasonably priced lighting options. Not sure if I want single spaced out lights for under bar counter and around rest of island or to go the LED strip route. Any solar light options to use here?

Any other ideas ? Any pics you have and buying sites would be helpful - thanks!

I did some research on this recently as I wanted to run some Malibu type lights (12v) near my property gate and I do not have electric out there.

You're going to need some good batteries, preferably TWO in parallel assuming your going 12V or if you're using power inverter that's cool.

You'll need some decent solar panels... amazon.com has deals on them. At least 1 100WATT and a solar charge controller.

Check out youtube, there's lots of folks doing this already. It gets tricky if you want lots of power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.