Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Power AND ODK Lighting Options ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Power AND ODK Lighting Options ?

Hey Folks - me again !

Have progressed on build (will post new pics). Just about ready to skin the frame but having second thoughts about whether or not I need to run electric to the island. I am sure it would be very handy (especially for frig) but other than that -- my only needs would be for occasional outlet needs for "whatever" and lighting.

Which brings me to ask:

- Has anyone used solar to power their electric needs on their island ?? If so - please give me your feedback.
    - Has anyone used battery supplied power inverter and just recharged their batteries as needed?

Finally - need some reasonably priced lighting options. Not sure if I want single spaced out lights for under bar counter and around rest of island or to go the LED strip route. Any solar light options to use here?

Any other ideas ? Any pics you have and buying sites would be helpful - thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Power AND ODK Lighting Options ?

This is very interesting I will be following this post.

I'm guessing you would need some sort of battery storage and extra ventillation. Could it be simple enough to buy a fuse box and connect solar panels and batteries all together? You would have to watch your amps and not go over. I'm no electrician but I would love to see this work!

I wonder what the cost analysis for buying and hooking up all equipment vs. having an electrician run electrical?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

My guess... If you go with LEDs with a regular 120v service, it will basically cost nothing in power once it is installed. Spending all the money to go solar will never get paid back in this application.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by whesser View Post
    Hey Folks - me again !

Have progressed on build (will post new pics). Just about ready to skin the frame but having second thoughts about whether or not I need to run electric to the island. I am sure it would be very handy (especially for frig) but other than that -- my only needs would be for occasional outlet needs for "whatever" and lighting.

Which brings me to ask:

- Has anyone used solar to power their electric needs on their island ?? If so - please give me your feedback.
    - Has anyone used battery supplied power inverter and just recharged their batteries as needed?

Finally - need some reasonably priced lighting options. Not sure if I want single spaced out lights for under bar counter and around rest of island or to go the LED strip route. Any solar light options to use here?

Any other ideas ? Any pics you have and buying sites would be helpful - thanks!
    I did some research on this recently as I wanted to run some Malibu type lights (12v) near my property gate and I do not have electric out there.

You're going to need some good batteries, preferably TWO in parallel assuming your going 12V or if you're using power inverter that's cool.

You'll need some decent solar panels... amazon.com has deals on them. At least 1 100WATT and a solar charge controller.

Check out youtube, there's lots of folks doing this already. It gets tricky if you want lots of power.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

5. Back To Top    #5

panels will run you about $150-200 each
    Good solar batteries are about $200 each
    Power inverter DC to AC $100 (depends on wattage)
    Controller $150 for battery charge

This is a very rough estimate.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build