Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing water

First off I have read all the Pool School info, yet am still a little confused. We have a 15x48 intex above ground pool. It is filled and looks great!! Water is clear and the kids are loving it. I just went to test the water, as I added chemicals (we are using bleach) Monday night, and the pH was 7.4. When I did the test for FC, I know its initially supposed to turn pink when you add the 2 scoops, however mine stayed clear. Do I need to add more scoops, or does that just mean I have no chlorine in my pool?? Then I tested the CYA, which I have hanging in a sock in the pool, and it says shake till cloudy, well mine NEVER got cloudy. What does all this mean, and what do I do?

Thanks,
    New and Confused
    Intex 15x48 vinyl pool
    3776 gallons water
    new June 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing water

Welcome, and thank you for reading before posting!

First, dry CYA will take awhile to show up on the test. Wait a week to test again, but assume it's already there for dosing purposes.

I think you might not be putting enough powder in, but that would make sense only for very high FC levels. Can you do a total chlorine test with the K-1000 just to see if it's very high or very low?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    First off I have read all the Pool School info, yet am still a little confused. We have a 15x48 intex above ground pool. It is filled and looks great!! Water is clear and the kids are loving it. I just went to test the water, as I added chemicals (we are using bleach) Monday night, and the pH was 7.4. When I did the test for FC, I know its initially supposed to turn pink when you add the 2 scoops, however mine stayed clear. Do I need to add more scoops, or does that just mean I have no chlorine in my pool?? Then I tested the CYA, which I have hanging in a sock in the pool, and it says shake till cloudy, well mine NEVER got cloudy. What does all this mean, and what do I do?

Thanks,
    New and Confused
    if you added 2 scoops and it stayed clear, you have no FC. if this test was done in the evening, and you have no CYA yet in your pool, then that makes sense as sun UV will burn off all of your FC every day until your CYA comes up. Dose your pool as if it has no FC, because you dont have any FC. Until CYA comes in, you may have to test every few hours or so to keep FC in pool. What brand of stabilizer did you use? The HTH from Walmart dissolves pretty quick for me, usually within 3 days I have CYA. I put it in the sock near the return and squeeze and shake it until it clouds up the pool, then leave it. 3 days later, I test and CYA is where I expected it to be.

EDIT: for future reference, from what I have read about the DPD test, if you add the powder, and it turns pink, then goes clear, you have very high FC.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Long story short, there is a HIGH percentage chance you have neither chlorine or CYA in your pool.....almost a promise.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

And the CYA stays in the sock for about a day before it becomes "mushy". That's when you massage it with your hand and you should see white liquid CYA coming out of the sock. Keep going until the sock is empty- could take 5-10 mins- then turn it inside out and shake the rest out.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

ok so if I am understanding this correctly, I am showing no chlorine because it is being burned off due to the fact the cya isn't working its magic yet? If that is the case should I add more chlorine tonight, according to pool math, as my cya is finally dissolved enough so I can squeeze it out of sock, or should I wait till tomorrow to add it that way it gives the cya a chance to totally work?

thanks in advance
    Intex 15x48 vinyl pool
    3776 gallons water
    new June 2014

7. Back To Top    #7

How often are you adding chlorine, and in what form?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

we just got the pool set up so I have only added it the once, and I used bleach.
    Intex 15x48 vinyl pool
    3776 gallons water
    new June 2014