Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's your favorite "Simple" recipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Central MD

What's your favorite "Simple" recipe

I know we all get into sauces, rubs, spices, and the like. But what's your favorite no muss, no fuss simple recipe? Examples:

My family likes the tenderness of beer can chicken, but my kids don't like the beer flavor or all of the spices that I like. So for them, I often do a beer can style chicken with just a light kosher salt rub and use canned orange soda instead of beer. Turns out great.

Or one of my favorites is grilled zucchini. Split the squash lengthwise and brush the cut side with Olive oil. Grill over medium coals till lightly charred. Throw on a little salt and fresh grated Parmesan at the table and you have a feast!

So how about some amazingly simple recipes?
    24' Round Doughboy AG.
    Usually filled with 3 kids, the wife, and occasionally the dog.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Midland, Ontario

Re: What's your favorite "Simple" recipe

I'm going to second the beer can chicken, simple cajun butter rub, slightly smoked then the heat cranked.

Steaks would qualify as simple, a nice rib eye with a coat of coarse salt, fresh pepper, garlic and a bit of Montreal steak spice.

ABT's too. (I'll post the recipe in another thread) You'll LOVE em.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Corn on the Cob:
    Husked and cooked in the microwave 3 minutes per ear. The add some southwest Chipotle and Parmesan cheese herbal butter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I second grilled zucchini, and I also do asparagus often. I'm using a copper wok basket for my veggies and when I do cut up meat or shrimp. It works beautifully. I drove myself crazy with skewers and everything spinning around. I need the flat ones.

I also do garlic bread on the grill. Simple is buying the ones from the frozen sect.
    A little more time consuming and not as simple is roasting the garlic to make a paste and mix with butter, sprinkle with salt and paprika, grill both sides til lightly toasted.
    No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas, Texas

Shiskabob recipe:

3-4 parts Lee and Perin's Worcestershire
    1 part salted butter
    tablespoon lemon pepper or to taste

Combine in pan until mixed. Should be light brown in color. Baste kabobs on the grill and use as dipping sauce

Awesome stuff, you will be putting it on everything.

30,000 Gallon Renovated Pool and Spa
    Flagstone Coping and Wall
    Onyx Quartz Plaster
    72 SF D.E Filter
    Polaris 280 Cleaner
    Jandy Aqualink Control Center and Palm Remote

6. Back To Top    #6

Southeast Colorado

Once, I didn't have a can of beer..OMG...and used a pop can 1/2 full of red wine.
    Grandkids called it WINO was still GREAT!
    12' x 36" round Intex metal frame vinyl pool
    2500 gallons (well water filled)
    Intex model 603 (530GPH) pump / Cartridge A

7. Back To Top    #7
    Portland, Oregon

Johnsonville specialty brats (cheddar, jalepeno, etc.) cooked on a stick over a fire... kids top it off with roasted marsmallows (ick).

haha yeah, I know it's not a recipe but it's simple and outdoors, does that qualify?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Buckeye, AZ 85326

A good ol Rib eye sprinkled with garlic salt.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

9. Back To Top    #9
    Sault Ontario

BBQ garlic bread
    - cut up french bread or bagette
    - dice some garlic
    - butter the bread, apply the garlic
    - toast on BBQ

Fast side dish and tastes great.

Another great one is pan fried (could do on the side burner of BBQ) pita strips
    - cut pita's into 1" strips
    - heat pan, add olive oil
    - fry for a bit
    - remove from heat and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese (while still hot)
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

10. Back To Top    #10
    SW Indiana

Sausage fatties dusted with rub. Two minute prep.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat