New Home and Pool Owner

Hello everyone,

My name is Jeremy, and I am new to owning a pool. A really good friend of mine turned me on to this site and I have been reading the Pool School section like a fiend. I purchased my home not even 2 weeks ago, and am in the process of getting the pool nice and clear. So far it is coming along well, but I am experiencing cloudy water. Through much research on these forums, we have determined that I more than likely have 1 or more laterals that are causing sand to get into the pool, and that the sand may need to be replaced. We have stabilized the water and the balances are nearly perfect (tested with T100 test kit, my friends), so we know it is not the chemical balances.

Tried the deep clean procedure recommended here, and it really did a great number on cleaning the sand. One other thing to mention for others using this method, is that it will also help to loosen the sand in the filter. When I looked inside the filter, there were big holes (channels) in the sand, and it was really hard. Apparently the previous owners did not backwash nearly enough to keep the sand separated and the deep clean helped to get the sand softened and evenly distributed. Thank you for the very detailed video on how to do this. When we turned the pump back on, a nasty looking little cloud of foulness and sand came out of the jets again. I was so not happy about that since I learned what causes that from these pages.

I am thinking of tackling changing out the sand and the laterals before the 4th of July, but I am really nervous about it. Wish me luck!

Anyway, thank you so much for the amazing website and I hope to get to know many of you folks over the years.