Replacing skimmer gasket with butterfly gasket

May 29, 2014
New Jersey
Guys,

I need some advice. I have a standar skimmer and gaskets, 1 on the outside and one on the inside. The pool is full, but have a drip leak under the gasket on the outside of the pool.

I went to the pool store and they sold me a butterfly gasket, said it was better and also protects the opening from rusting.

If I dropped the water level 2" below the skimmer, would I be able to change out the old gaskets with the new?

My neighbor said I have to be careful not to drop the liner. Should I be concerned?

Any tips/tricks to doing this?

Thanks,

Rocky

You didn't indicate which skimmer you have or how long you've had it. If it is a Hayward and you only recently installed it and didn't use a #3 Philips screwdriver, you probably don't have the screws quite tight enough. I would try tightening it again first with the #3.

The thing about the butterfly gasket vs. the split gasket.... they don't keep water from leaking between the skimmer and outside pool wall if the screws aren't tight. The only reason you need the butterfly gasket is if you have a hard side pool with liner. The butterfly gasket is necessary on those to keep the water from getting between the pool and liner.

It's a Proline Skimmer I believe and it's a standard, not widemouth. It's roughly 3 years old.

I've tightened it really tight with a #3 Philips, so that's not the problem.

Should I worry about the opening rusting since I've switch to SWG? The guy at the store said the butterfly gasket will protect the opening so just curious.

Rocky

I assume since you are concerned about rust that you have a steel wall pool with vinyl liner. If that's the case, I would definitely replace with a new butterfly gasket. The pool store guy is correct about this. You don't want water, swg or not, getting between the liner and the pool walls. I would drain down a few inches below the bottom of the skimmer before making the repair.

Yes its showing signs of rust in between the skimmer and faceplate, so I will get a butterfly gasket asap.

So basically, if I drop the water level and remove the entire skimmer/faceplate, the liner shouldn't move? If that's the case, then I'm worried about nothing.

Thanks guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.