Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing skimmer gasket with butterfly gasket

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing skimmer gasket with butterfly gasket

Guys,

I need some advice. I have a standar skimmer and gaskets, 1 on the outside and one on the inside. The pool is full, but have a drip leak under the gasket on the outside of the pool.

I went to the pool store and they sold me a butterfly gasket, said it was better and also protects the opening from rusting.

If I dropped the water level 2" below the skimmer, would I be able to change out the old gaskets with the new?

My neighbor said I have to be careful not to drop the liner. Should I be concerned?

Any tips/tricks to doing this?

Thanks,

Rocky
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" AGP
    Hayward DE EC50 w/1.5HP Pump
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit
    Intek 2014 SWG - Copper Disconnected

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing skimmer gasket with butterfly gasket

You didn't indicate which skimmer you have or how long you've had it. If it is a Hayward and you only recently installed it and didn't use a #3 Philips screwdriver, you probably don't have the screws quite tight enough. I would try tightening it again first with the #3.

The thing about the butterfly gasket vs. the split gasket.... they don't keep water from leaking between the skimmer and outside pool wall if the screws aren't tight. The only reason you need the butterfly gasket is if you have a hard side pool with liner. The butterfly gasket is necessary on those to keep the water from getting between the pool and liner.
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a Proline Skimmer I believe and it's a standard, not widemouth. It's roughly 3 years old.

I've tightened it really tight with a #3 Philips, so that's not the problem.

Should I worry about the opening rusting since I've switch to SWG? The guy at the store said the butterfly gasket will protect the opening so just curious.

Rocky
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I assume since you are concerned about rust that you have a steel wall pool with vinyl liner. If that's the case, I would definitely replace with a new butterfly gasket. The pool store guy is correct about this. You don't want water, swg or not, getting between the liner and the pool walls. I would drain down a few inches below the bottom of the skimmer before making the repair.
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

5. Back To Top    #5

Would I be able to replace the gasket without dropping the liner? Is there a trick to it?
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I replaced mine this spring. Dropped the water level to just below the faceplate, and the liner didn't move. I'm not sure I could have moved it if I wanted to.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes its showing signs of rust in between the skimmer and faceplate, so I will get a butterfly gasket asap.

So basically, if I drop the water level and remove the entire skimmer/faceplate, the liner shouldn't move? If that's the case, then I'm worried about nothing.

Thanks guys.
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If you think about, with the amount of water that will remain in the pool, there really won't be anywhere for the liner to go.