Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Waxahachie, Tx.

CYA test readings

I know this has been covered a million times and I have read almost every post on the subject. Since the readings are subjective at best I just got back in town. My wife been doing an amazing job with the pool and testing.
    Her last CYA test was 60, 2 days ago. I tested this morning, bright full sun. At 60 and the dot starts disappearing, at 40 its no longer visible. What number should I go by?
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Re: CYA test readings

Sounds like 40. You want the dot to completely disappear.
    Also, it is best taken with back to sun (bright indirect sunlight).

3. Back To Top    #3

Sugar Land, Texas, United States

I am having the same debate so I decided to use my kids as 2nd opinion. I tested the CYA indoor and when I have doubt, I would ask the kids because sometime your concentrate on the dot stays on your brains even it is not there.
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

You should not do the test indoors. It should be outside in bright indirect light. Usually with the tube at your waist.

You can get the CYA standard solution from which is 50ppm and then experiment with what light is right for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!