Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Tennessee

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Tennessee

I am from Bartlett, TN, which is a suburb of Memphis. I got my first home in late summer 2006, and it came with a 33' round AG pool. I have been fighting algea more than swimming ever since, and I finally decided that the pool stores must be dumb and there must be some better advice out there. I discovered both PoolForum and this site earlier this week and have learned a lot. I am hoping for some honest advice from people who have no reason to mislead me. My pool is so big that it is a little intimidating. (I can't reach the middle with a triple extended pole!) Thanks in advance for any help I can get. -lilsis1234
    Jamie
    33' Round AG Pool, Approximately 28,750 gallons, SwimPro High Rate Sand Filter - 25", Hayward Matrix 1.5 hp pump, TF100 test kit
    Memphis, TN Suburb - Very Hot and Sunny all summer (Avg day temp. = 99, HI = 110)
    We've had heat advisories almost every day for over a month - it would be nice to have a clean pool! :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Tennessee

Welcome to TFP! Check out the Pool School area, either via link above or in my sig. Start reading and applying you're new knowledge, and you'll be swimming in a sparkling pool before you know it.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi lilsis1234,

Welcome to the forum. As Molson said, Pool School is the place to go right now.

A good test kit is the best investment we made in our pool. If you do not have one, the most recommended is the TF Test Kit sold by duraleigh (Dave), one of our members. He also has fantastic customer service! There is a article in Pool School comparing test kits.

Adding your pool and equipment info in your sig will be a big help when folks are trying to help you. Go to User Control Panel, upper left under TFP logo, select 'profile' then 'edit signature'.

We're glad to have you!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome, you've come to the right place!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome lilsis1234!!! I am from TN too. (Dyersburg, about 1.5 hours north of you) This place has wonderful people and excellent advise. I have been reading for about 8 months now because we bought a house with an inground pool and I had no idea what to do with it. I found this place and did my research and have never looked back. I have even converted 4 or 5 along the way! As I said, this place is great!!!
    20 x40 IG vinyl pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Lilsis. I live in Collierville. We're practically neighbors! There are a few North Mississippi people here, too.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP, Jamie. You've come to the right place for taking control of your pool.

About danged time we got some more Tennessee folk on here! Used to be, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a North Carolinian or a Texan! Nice to see the site's drawing a more genteel clientele.....
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone. I'm Tennessee born and raised. I ordered that test kit from duraleigh on Monday and I hope to receive it soon so I can test my chlorine at higher levels. Happy Summer!
    Jamie
    33' Round AG Pool, Approximately 28,750 gallons, SwimPro High Rate Sand Filter - 25", Hayward Matrix 1.5 hp pump, TF100 test kit
    Memphis, TN Suburb - Very Hot and Sunny all summer (Avg day temp. = 99, HI = 110)
    We've had heat advisories almost every day for over a month - it would be nice to have a clean pool! :)