Just fisnished slamming have a few questions

Jul 5, 2013
Greenwood, IN
I just got done with the slamming process started on 6-20-14 started with fc of about 1 and cya at around 80. did some drains & refills to get the cya down and ended up putting in 93 gallons of liquid shock during the slam! I finally lost 0 fc overnight and pool is looking good! here is where its at now

fc 11.5
cc 0
ph 8.0
ta 190
cya 50

pool is 38,000 gallon vinyl lined with sand filter.

question 1 i was going to try to keep my fc at around 10 does that sound about right?

question 2 My ph is a little high & my ta seems high. should I try to get them down? and if so whats the best method of getting them down. can I get them both down together or do I need to lower 1 to lower the other. i did read up on them in pool school just a little confused.

I will say that in the middle of the slam after adding so much bleach i was beginning to question my sanity! but glad i stuck it out!
thanks again for everyones help through this process

As soon as FC drops below 10, use muriatic acid and lower the pH to about 7.4.

With 50 CYA, keep FC between 4 and 8, and ever below 4.

Don't worry about doing anything with the TA for now . Later, if your pH is annoying you because it is climbing fast/often then you could address the TA.

Good work on the SLAM :goodjob: Got a pic?

Ill post up a pic tonight when i get home. how much muruatic acid should i put in to lower the ph?

- - - Updated - - -

sorry, i keep forgetting to use pool math, if I did my calculations right add 68 oz muratic acid. do you just pour the acid into the pool or into the skimmer? also how soon can you swim after adding acid? and how long will it take before i can res test ph

You need to use the PoolMath calculator. There is link at the top of each page in the menu bar.

You will need to add pool gallons at top, and be sure to add TA in the now column, since it does effect pH.

Post back if you want someone to confirm your calcs and doses. :smile:

one more question. I pulled my light about a week ago its just been sitting on the concrete out of the water. with it being out of the water for over a week if it did have algae on it would it be dead now or should i clean it? and if so what should i clean it with?
thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.