Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates and a sparkling pool ...... This website rocks!

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates and a sparkling pool ...... This website rocks!

First I would like to thank those that post on this forum. I have learned soooo much from you all ..... so again thank you.
    I came home from my usual commute from work (too much traffic) and looked out the backdoor to see our pool looking fantastic. It was so clear and sparkling. I was like is this really in my backyard? Over last weekend I added borates to the water. I thought it was clear before, but the borates have pushed it over the top.

The cleaner is at 8ft. Cell phone photo not quite as clear as in person.

Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates and a sparkling pool ...... This website rocks!

Lookin' purty!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Looks great! I may have to try the borates for giggles if nothing else. I'm happy with my water, but hey better is better right?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks great! Just curious- which method did you use to add the borates?
    15 ft x 35 ft, 20,000 gallon IG Plaster, Sta-Rite Cristal Flo II Sand Filter (3.15 ft2/300 lbs, 70 gal/min), Sta-Rite Pump (1 HP), Pentair MasterTemp 400 Heater (400,000 BTU), CoverStar Automatic Cover, Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark Vacuum, Built April 2014

5. Back To Top    #5

20 mule borax and muratic acid calculated amounts using pool math. Dosed half of the amount needed, tested and recalculated again. The additions were about a week apart mostly because of my work schedule.
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks beautiful!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Just one more photo.

8. Back To Top    #8

What ppm did you add to your pool? I recently went to 35 ppm and can see a difference. I am thinking of going a little higher.
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have 50 ppm or so. I am using the LaMotte test strips. I have a hard time telling the difference between 50 and 80 ppm.

10. Back To Top    #10

I love my borated pool and, I've found that I use a little less chlorine than when I didn't use borates. I would have done it in my last pool but I had a dog swimming with me.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter