Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid Recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid Recommendations

Looking for anecdotal responses on the best solution to lower PH. KemTek product at Home Depot - both its liquid chlorine and muriatic acid - products are receiving horrible reviews.

Thank you!
    28k gallon in-ground pebbletec pool w/waterfall and grotto feature
    Triton II sand filter
    "The Pool Cleaner" 4-wheel vacuum
    1.5hp main pump; 1.5hp water feature pump
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid Recommendations

I use Transchem brand. 31.45% full strength Muriatic Acid

Any brand is ok as long as its full strength. I didnt look up the KemTek product online to get more info. Im too lazy I guess to do it.

There are a lot of "green" products out these days, and generally, they do not work well.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

See if there's any dealers near you. Besides 12.5% bleach, they sell 31.45% acid in returnable jugs. http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by asusundevil View Post
    Looking for anecdotal responses on the best solution to lower PH. KemTek product at Home Depot - both its liquid chlorine and muriatic acid - products are receiving horrible reviews.

Thank you!
    I haven't had any trouble with KemTek, except they're purchased the rights to Clorox and raise prices. Yesterday I couldn't find KemTek muriatic acid at Lowe's, only Clorox. The new more expensive bottle even has the same "123 easy" steps stuff. It claims to be 31% and certainly fumes like it. I got a tiny whiff last night and it felt like I'd inhaled an entire pickle.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

5. Back To Top    #5

KemTek from Home Depot shows the following:

14.5% hydrogen chloride
    85% other ingredients

Is it safe to say that this product is a scam?
    Triton II sand filter
    Taylor K2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The acid from Leslies is actually a pretty good deal and full strength (31%)

I think KemTek used to sell the 31% at HD and Lowes, but in the last few years switched to the weaker stuff for the same price.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm, I've got a Leslie's 1 mile down the street and will give them a try this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up. I'm having a heck of a time getting my PH down.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The acid from Leslies is actually a pretty good deal and full strength (31%)

I think KemTek used to sell the 31% at HD and Lowes, but in the last few years switched to the weaker stuff for the same price.
    Triton II sand filter
    Taylor K2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

The Hasa link that Richard provided might be an even better deal ... especially for liquid chlorine too. This is listed in Chandler:
    L. Grilz Pool Service & Supply, Inc.
    992 West Ray Road, Chandler, AZ 85225 US
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Richard,

I've never heard of this operation. They have a location 2 miles from my home. What is your experience with their product line?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    See if there's any dealers near you. Besides 12.5% bleach, they sell 31.45% acid in returnable jugs. http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php
    Triton II sand filter
    Taylor K2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Buying in bulk is a far better deal than anything else you will find. There is only one location in Tucson and it is on the opposite side of town ... of course now I have a SWG, so don't need the bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by asusundevil View Post
    Richard,

I've never heard of this operation. They have a location 2 miles from my home. What is your experience with their product line?
    I've been buying the bleach and acid from my local dealer for more than a year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I've found acid at Menard's for a fair price.... even better when I can use rebate rewards to purchase it!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

13. Back To Top    #13

We don't have Menards ... as much as I wish we did
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I understand that buying liquid chlorine in bulk is risky because its concentration dissipates in storage. Is this a similar risk with acid?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Buying in bulk is a far better deal than anything else you will find. There is only one location in Tucson and it is on the opposite side of town ... of course now I have a SWG, so don't need the bleach.
    Triton II sand filter
    Taylor K2006 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

No. Acid is very stable, and very tolerant of temp changes.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry