Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump issue?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump issue?

I added a new Hayward pump and sand filter and know the water returning to the pool has alot of air in it the return line is making a chugging sound. When I look in the top of the pump (were the skimmer is the water is low) and the hose going from the pump to the sand filter is not full. I have found a fix for this by partial closing the valve on my return line. This also shows a higher pressure on the gauge from 12 psi with valve open to about 18-20 psi partial closed. Does anybody know why it is doing this? Do I need to have two suction inlets?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump issue?

Just sounds like a suction side air leak. Since it's a new pump check the connections to the pump very closely. Also ensure the seal on your pump lid is centered perfectly, lubed up, and tightened evenly. That basket right before the pump should always be completely full of water... If it's not, your sucking in air from somewhere...
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump issue?

I was thinking there was a leak but when I shut off everything and leave it overnight there is not any water on the pipes or fittings?