Mineral Sanitizer and chem feeder

Jul 2, 2014
wakeman,ohio
Ok I am getting my first pool installed on thurs. And well I am kind of uncertain if I am getting everything I need or want. We had considered a bromine pool and when we did we were getting a brominator/chem feeder. which was fine. But we finally decided that a chlorine type pool is the way we want to go. So the salesman says, now we dont need a feeder, because we will be using the Nature 2 mineral sanitizer. And of course from what I have read on here, the mineral deal is less than desireable. So I said keep the mineral deal, and give me the feeder. He doesnt understand why I would want to do that. And all i can say is well thats what I read online!! I guess I am asking for reassurance that I am asking for the right things. My wife has pretty blonde hair, and doesnt want it changing colors due to the minerals introduced by the nature 2 setup. So if we do away with that setup, a chlorine feeder would be a good thing to have correct?? Well actually a chlorine feeder would be beneficial with either setup correct? Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

The feeder the salesman mentioned will be a tablet feeder and as JM eluded to, you don't want that unless it's free. I would recommend a injection pump or an swcg.

The only reason I mention the tablet feeder if it's free, is that if you decide to manually dose the pool you could use the feeder to maintain the FC for things like vacations, etc..

The salesman probably won't understand about the injection pump, and if that's the case just tell him that you'll install it later.
If you do decide to go with an swcg, it needs to be sized about 1½ to 3 times the size of the pool.

HI tylera,
we recommend using liquid chlorine or a saltwater generator for maintaining the chlorine in the pool. The Tabs are ok for occasional use, but in the long term, will present problems.
The reason why is because every chlorine tab used also adds stabilizer to the pool, and after a while, the stabilizer level becomes so high from the use of tabs, that it becomes very problematic to maintain yoru Chlorine level and have a clear pool.

Your chlorine level that you need to keep the pool clear is dependent on the stabilizer level, (a.k.a CYA), so thats why its important to know what the level is, and keep it in a manageable range.

Ok so he says the mineral thing is free, so If I dont take it I get no credit for it. i think that explains alot!! So I guess i will take it, and maybe ebay it, but I just wont use it. I am ordering a TF kit today. So hopefully I will start off this pool thing on the right foot. I admit I am somewhat intimidated by this whole process. But I think If I stay on this site i will be in good shape. So anyways, just so I understand, the chlorine feeder, is essentially the same thing as the floaty things you put in the pool, but its just a different process of doing it. But either way I want to stay away from the tablets no matter how there added to the water??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.