Newbie Baqu conversion, but 0 biguanides

Lorelai

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Hulmeville, PA
Hi everyone,

First, I must say thanks to a really awesome forum. I have been lurking for the pass few days and have been learning much. I ordered my Tf-100 kit and hope it will be here tomorrow. Additionally, I have read pool school a couple times and think I am now getting it. So much to learn!

I believe I have converted my pool from baquacil. Although, I don't believe it had any baquacil left. I know this sounds strange but I was just following the advice from the pool store without understanding what I was doing. Well, not anymore. I feel like I was in the Matrix and I am now AWAKE. I know I still have much to learn but I feel so good about my upcoming journey.

We got our pool in 2002 and have used baquacil since then. My mother has sensitive skin and does not like chlorine. So, I have put up with the stress of trying to battle with keeping our water safe without going bankrupt.

I gave up this year. So when we opened our pool on June 21st, we didn't use baqu and bought a SwimFree chlorinator and 8. bags of salt. I also got a standard kit for opening pools from Leslie's. . I ended up returning the SwimFree system and purchasing a much cheaper Chlorinator.

Now the other issue I had was that our pump was not working. My brother opened it up and realized that the parts were broken so we replaced them and the sand as well. Of course, I had no idea that you are supposed to change the sand after a baqu change. The pump was not running so I did not get the water tested.

Once we got the pump running, I started adding the stuff from the kit. This is when I stumbled onto TFP.com. I think I got lucky because I believe that my water must have had zero baquacil product in it. At this point, I did take my water to be tested and they said I had 0 biguanide so keep adding the stuff in the kit. Surprisingly, the water cleared up in less than a week, once the kit was complete.

Saturday the water looked okay and they said we could swim- I had a party at my house. Saturday, I went to another pool store to get the water tested and they said I had to keep shocking the water everyday for a while before adding the chlorinator. Sat,Sun, Mon. I added a bag of shock each night. I don't know the name. I won't make this mistake again.

Now tonight, Tuesday, I just put in about 60 oz of liquid Clorox bleach - 8.25%. I am waiting on my test kit but I didn't want the pool to grow algae. I figure I could put that much in a night until I get my kit.

I have a couple questions. Did I calculate my pool gallons correctly? Although the wall height is 52", I figured my pool is only filled about 4 feet so I used 48" which gives me 13,500 gallons.

Hoping my test kit comes tomorrow:D

How long after adding CYA to increase FC?

I got my test kit and have results.
FC - .5
CC - .5
TC - 1
pH - 7.8
TA - 130
CH - 200
CYA - 0

What's my next step?

I know I need to slam. According to PoolMath
234 oz of Clorox. I figured 2 bottles (121 oz each)
187 oz of liquid stabilizer. I know I could also use the powder in the sock but I won't be able to test for it until a week has passed. I am assuming I would be able to test for the liquid sooner. Is this correct?

Another thing, since I don't have any CYA in there yet, how much Clorox should I use? Won't the 234 then be too high for zero CYA?

Also, do I need to adjust my pH and/or alkalinity?

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to TFP! Your pool volume sounds about right. You may have been very lucky and avoided the baqua-goo bullet. Did it turn any funky, nasty colors when you first added chlorine?

Your pH is a little high, you could lower it to 7.2 if you want. Once you add CYA, dose the pool as if the CYA level you targeted is accurate and in effect. If you added enough CYA to reach the target of 20 ppm, then assume you have 20ppm active in the water and dose the pool accordingly.

CYA will show up once it is dissolved. It can take as long as 7 days for a sock full of CYA to dissolve, but if you squeeze a few times a day it it will dissolve much faster.

Re: Newbie - Slamming need advice

After looking through the pictures of others, I think it was that cloudy green and that became lighter and lighter until the water became clear.

I think we were lucky and that was my main concern about baquacil. For the past few summers, I couldn't keep the oxidizer or the sanitizer in the water. As much as I add, it would get used up.

I made a run to the store and got stabilizer (cyanuric acid) from Walmart and muriatic acid from Lowes.

Now, I am not too sure in what order to do stuff. Please advise. I want to start adding stuff tonight.

What should go in first and how much time in between? I don't want to mess this up.

Here is what it seems I should do

Add HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner
Add Muriatic Acid
Add Clorox

Put I don't know how long to wait in between each one. Also, it said on the muriatic that it should not be mixed with chlorine type bleaches.

Also, does it matter that we are supposed to have rain tomorrow?

All advice appreciated.

Another question

CYA in the skimmer or in front of the return? I have read about both ways in this forum. I am leaning towards the skimmer since that was how it was said to be done in Pool School.

Also, since I don't have the salt water chlorinator running yet, should I just raise my CYA to just 30 and this way I could shock at FC - 12 instead of 24? I figured this would save on how much Clorox I would have to use. Then once I've shocked, then I could increase my CYA to 60 and put on the salt water chlorinator.

What do you guys think?

Another question

CYA in the skimmer or in front of the return? I have read about both ways in this forum. I am leaning towards the skimmer since that was how it was said to be done in Pool School.

Also, since I don't have the salt water chlorinator running yet, should I just raise my CYA to just 30 and this way I could shock at FC - 12 instead of 24? I figured this would save on how much Clorox I would have to use. Then once I've shocked, then I could increase my CYA to 60 and put on the salt water chlorinator.

What do you guys think?
As long as you are putting the CYA in a sock either way will work. You don't want to dump it in the skimmer and let it flow to the filter. If it gets to teh filter you may backwash it all away before it dissolves. Once it's in the pool make all calculations based on the target CYA number you had. It may take a week to show up on tests. Your idea of 30 for now is fine.

Add acid to get the pH down (figure the amount with Pool Math then wait at least 30 minutes before you start adding bleach.

This is how I would proceed:

Slowly pour 43 oz of muratic acid in a pencil thin line in front of a return jet (31% 20baume, check your label).

Wait half hour to mix.

Add 51 oz of Clorox for a goal of 3 ppm FC

Aim for 30 CYA. Put 55 oz in a sock and hang in front of return. No need to wait for Clorox to mix.

The sock in the skimmer works well, just make sure you don't try to add too much at one time and block the skimmer basket flow. You should be able to see about 1/2 the bottom of the skimmer basket with the sock in place.
Yes, only add enough CYA to reach 30ppm for now and you can raise it when you are ready to get the SWG up and running.
The usual order of operations for pools is lower pH first, then add chlorine. You can allow 30 minutes between chemical additions to allow everything to mix in well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before worrying about adding CYA I'd make 110% sure that you are completely finished with zero Baqua remaining in the water. Have you preformed an OCLT? It's very common to have Baqua-Goo hiding out in the plumbing and lights that will continue to consume your chlorine even though you'll show low to zero levels of Baquacil in the water.

Update.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice.

I tried to add the muriatic acid on Wednesday -got in 30 oz. before I had to come inside. We had heavy rains and lighting. I figured I wouldn't be able to use the pool if I got electrocuted. :rolleyes:

After testing around noon on Thursday I added the rest of the muriatic acid - 27 oz (to take my PH down to 7.2), 64 oz of cyanuaric acid (to take my CYA to 30 ppm) and 242 oz of 8.25% bleach (to take FC to 12)

7/3 around noon
pH - 7.5
FC, CC and TC - 0
CH - 125
TA - 120
CYA - 0

Tested again around 4 pm
PH - 7.2
FC - 9
CC - 1
TC - 10
CH - didn't do
TA - 110
CYA - didn't do
So I added 68 oz of 8.25% bleach to keep my bleach at 12

Today, 7/4 around 10 am
PH - 7.2
FC - 11
CC - 1
TC - 12
CH - 150
TA - 120
CYA - did not check
So I added 20 oz of 8.25% bleach (to keep FC at 12)

Tested again around 5pm
PH - 7.2
FC - 8
CC - 1
TC - 9
CH - 125
TA - 100
CYA - could still see the dot but the water was a bit cloudy

I am going to check FC before I go to bed and will then check in the morning. OCLT
I don't think I am done with the SLAM yet because I saw some green algae in the bottom of the pool. I need to get in there and give it a good scrubbing.

Yeah Leebo, most likely stuff in the filter too.

Today was mostly overcast and it rained off an on.

Did not pass OCLT

So I did not pass the OCLT and I just realized that I didn't do it correctly anyway.

Somehow I missed the fact that I needed to perform the test at shock level.

Here were my results.
7/7 8p.m. ish
PH - 7.2
FC - 7
CC - .5
CH - 175
TA - 100
CYA - less than 30

7/8 7a.m. ish
FC - 5.5
CC - .5
CYA - between 30-40
I only added enough cyanuric acid to get it to 30 but it is definitely reading higher. I am assuming it is higher because of the stuff I had put in from the pool store.

I have a pic of what it looked like yesterday (Monday) morning. There seemed to be some sand at the bottom. It felt like sand too. Now I know that sand from our filter had gotten into our pool because the rod in the filter was cracked. We have since changed it.

The dark area is the sand. The light area is the sun reflecting off the water.

I will take more pictures today.

I added bleach to get me to 16.

Re: Did not pass OCLT

Sooooo I am hoping this might be considered passing OCLT.

Last night - 8:30 pm ish
FC 15.5; CC .5

This morning - 7 am ish
FC 14; CC .5

Now here is the thing. Last night a storm came through and deposited some leaves and probably some dirt in the pool.

Do I have to do the OCLT again?

Also here are my numbers from my slam yesterday. Bleach was 8.25% Clorox

Before slam
7/8 7 am ish
PH - 7.2.
FC - 5.5. Added 121 oz
CC - .5
CH - 175
TA - 100
CYA - between 30-40

During slam
11:30 am - FC 14.5; CC .5 Added 30 oz
1:22 pm - FC 13.5; CC .5. Added 60 oz
2:40 pm - FC 15; CC .5
4:15 pm - FC 14.5; CC .5 Added 35 oz
6:45 pm - 15.5; CC .5
8:30 pm - multiple results because I took out my ladder and scrubbed it with straight bleach. I had it hanging on the deck and then put it back in. I took my water sample near the steps and got a much higher reading. I got FC 17.5; CC .5 I did 6 tests and different readings before I figured out what was going on. Seems as if I introduced more chlorine to the pool with the ladder.

I waited a couple hours and tested again. That's when I got my final reading for the night FC 15.5; CC .5

Yesterday we had temps around 91 degrees. Pool is in the sun from about 11 to 5 ish but it is sometimes shaded. Several big trees.

So based on such good readings all day and the storm last night, can I consider this a pass? Also, water is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.