Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking pump pictures

1. Back To Top    #1

NC RTP

Leaking pump pictures

Almost 4 years now with a trouble free pool, but today I noted seepage from the bottom of my pump. Doesn't seem to be coming from any fittings or drain valves, seems to be coming from underneath the pump body.

Is there a shaft seal or something that needs changing, or is the pump shot? Is it worth paying someone to fix, or since I'm fairly handy, can I just unscrew the fittings and install a new pump (haven't check the pump price, but guessing somewhere north of 400 bucks...)

Any input would help...
    6600 gal Barrier Reef fiberglass IG
    Cartridge/digital pool pilot SWCG/w/heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Mesa, Arizona

Re: Leaking pump pictures

I would take the pump apart and check to see if the shaft seal is not cracked or broken. Getting to know your equipment is key in these situations and this is a very simple fix. I wouldn't expect the problem to be too severe and would probably be less than a $20 fix unless you have multiple problems. You say you are quite handy, tackle the problem.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

3. Back To Top    #3

Burlington, Ontario

Re: Leaking pump pictures

I had exactly the same symptoms with my hayward super pump. Replacing the seal was quite easy and required no special tools. In fact, there were multiple YouTube videos demonstrating the procedure. Seal and o-ring combined were under $20.