bubbles only on startup

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
After my pump has been off for a few hours, I get a lot of bursts from my returns, like if the return pipes were full of air. I don't have a suction side leak, I only see bubbles for the first 30 seconds or so that the pump is running and then I get zero bubbles from my returns, and I don't see a water leak around the equipment. Can somebody explain what's going on?

Possibly air in the filter from a suction side air leak or possibly a leak someone else on the system that allows water to drain out of the filter. Possibly at the multiport.

Solar panels will also cause a lot air to come out of the returns when they turn on.

Yeah that's not too unusual. Any very small leak will allow water to drain a bit back to the pool and it will be replaced by air that is blown out when you fire up the pump. Do you have check valves? I don't have any and I have a small leak on my filter discharge so I get bubbles in the returns for the first 30 seconds as well. Doesn't hurt anything and just reminds me I need to fix the leak at some point!

James W: I don't think I have a suction side air leak as I see no bubbles in my drain basket and I don't lose prime no matter how long my pump is off (2 days has been the max, as I was away)

Sminor: I'm not sure if I have a check valve...what is that? I thought that if I had a leak on my return side, I would see water leak when the pump was on, am I wrong in that assumption?

thanks for your responses.

A check valve simply allows water to flow in only one direction. If you have any, they will kind of look like a coupler but with no handle or threads. They usually have an arrow on them that point in the direction of water flow... As James mentioned, maybe there is a leak on the multiport. I don't have a sand filter so not sure if it would leak water with pump running or not...

Last edited:
If you have a check valve between the pump and filter, then there should not be a problem. However, if you don't, then DE can sometimes migrate from the filter through the pump and out the skimmers and main drain. I would suspect a leak at the multiport gasket. The gasket isn't too hard to replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.