Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bubbles only on startup

1. Back To Top    #1

bubbles only on startup

After my pump has been off for a few hours, I get a lot of bursts from my returns, like if the return pipes were full of air. I don't have a suction side leak, I only see bubbles for the first 30 seconds or so that the pump is running and then I get zero bubbles from my returns, and I don't see a water leak around the equipment. Can somebody explain what's going on?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bubbles only on startup

Possibly air in the filter from a suction side air leak or possibly a leak someone else on the system that allows water to drain out of the filter. Possibly at the multiport.

Solar panels will also cause a lot air to come out of the returns when they turn on.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah that's not too unusual. Any very small leak will allow water to drain a bit back to the pool and it will be replaced by air that is blown out when you fire up the pump. Do you have check valves? I don't have any and I have a small leak on my filter discharge so I get bubbles in the returns for the first 30 seconds as well. Doesn't hurt anything and just reminds me I need to fix the leak at some point!
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

4. Back To Top    #4

James W: I don't think I have a suction side air leak as I see no bubbles in my drain basket and I don't lose prime no matter how long my pump is off (2 days has been the max, as I was away)

Sminor: I'm not sure if I have a check valve...what is that? I thought that if I had a leak on my return side, I would see water leak when the pump was on, am I wrong in that assumption?

thanks for your responses.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

A check valve simply allows water to flow in only one direction. If you have any, they will kind of look like a coupler but with no handle or threads. They usually have an arrow on them that point in the direction of water flow... As James mentioned, maybe there is a leak on the multiport. I don't have a sand filter so not sure if it would leak water with pump running or not...
    Last edited by Sminor; 07-02-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typos!
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes i do have a check valve and I have a DE filter.

Are there any consequences for leaving the leak unattended as long as I'm not losing any water?

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have a check valve between the pump and filter, then there should not be a problem. However, if you don't, then DE can sometimes migrate from the filter through the pump and out the skimmers and main drain. I would suspect a leak at the multiport gasket. The gasket isn't too hard to replace.