DE Filter Pressure Question

DPawlu

Aug 4, 2011
Central New Jersey
Hi! I have the Hayward Pro Grid DE4820 (48 sq ft). My pressure with a fresh charge of DE was 9 psi. After vacuuming, it had climbed to about 20 psi. I shut the pump down for an hour or 2, came back out and restarted the pump, and the pressure was back down to 9 psi again. After more vacuuming, it climbed to 20 psi. Shut down a few hours, restart, and it is back down to 9 psi. It seems to always drop back to the fresh charge pressure after each shut-down (though, it climbs quicker to 20 psi each time as more gunk accumulates in the filter).

Is this normal for DE filters? Any ideas of what's going on?

The filter works great and keeps the pool nice and clear.

Thanks!

That can happen because the dirt is mostly on the outer layer of the DE. When the pump is off, the some of the dirt and DE falls off of the grids and settles to the bottom of the filter tank. When the pump is turned back on, the dirt and DE get redistributed causing the pressure to go back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.