Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: should I be concern seeing some small spots of green algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

should I be concern seeing some small spots of green algae?

I am loosing like 3ppm of FC during the day, temperature in Houston is around 94F. Is this normal? it means that I need to add 77 Fl Oz of bleach per day since my current reading are:
    FC 5 <-- need to maintain at 5
    Combine Chlorine 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CYA 40
    Borates 80
    Water Temp 90
    I am going to check the chlorine lost tonight but just curious the chlorine lost during the day at that rate is normal. I also noticed that my PH does go up quite frequently like current 7.8, it will be around 8 in a week.
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: should I be concern seeing some small spots of green algae?

Small spot of green? You should SLAM. After that, try raising your cya to 50.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

How small is small? an inch or so along a grout line just at the water level is nothing to get excited about. Just scrub it off with a brush and slosh some bleach that way. A few square inches on the wall below the surface is worth getting excited about. 3 ppm per day can rapidly turn to 5 or 6 and by then, your pool is a swamp. So in that case, the Shock Level And Maintain process is called for.

Incidently, patches of algae indicate poor circulation in that area. Regular brushing helps with that.

7.8 to 8 in a week sounds pretty mild for pH rise to me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

They are very small, like a chicken pox size and only certain spots. I've tested the overnight lost and it is less than 1 so FC seems to be fine.
    Woodyp, why I need to raise the CYA? I thought 30-50 is ideal? Just curious because raising the CYA means I need higher FC correct? So if I have high FC, it means I will loose less during the day?
    Inground Plaster Pool, Cartridge Filter, Dolphin PRIMALX3, Hayward H400 Heater, Hayward Pump SPX3220X25Z2PE, 17500 Gallons with Spill Over Spa, Non-SWG, Sugar Land (Houston), TX 77478 USA

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sangweb View Post
    They are very small, like a chicken pox size and only certain spots. I've tested the overnight lost and it is less than 1 so FC seems to be fine.
    Woodyp, why I need to raise the CYA? I thought 30-50 is ideal? Just curious because raising the CYA means I need higher FC correct? So if I have high FC, it means I will loose less during the day?
    Little chicken pox could be black algae. It's tough to eliminate. Use the search box to learn about it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

They looks pretty green to me and can be easily scrub off with the metal brush but I'll check out your suggestion to see what cause. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're only losing 3 ppm daily of FC, disregard raising your cya.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!