Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear gel-looking stuff in water

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear gel-looking stuff in water

I left the SWG on boost overnight by accident. Today I have a clear gel looking substance floating in the water. It's clear, for now. I added 200 lbs salt when we opened the pool. We had issues and couldn't run the SWG for a couple weeks so I was using bleach to keep levels at 2ppm. Hasn't been that high since running SWG.

FC: .5ppm
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 60ppm
    CH: nil
    CYA: 40
    20x52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP
    14" Sand Filter pump and SWG
    XtremePower AGP auto vacuum
    Taylor Complete FAS-DPD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear gel-looking stuff in water

You should raise your cya to 70-80.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I doubt if the gel has anything to do with the pool chemistry or swg. Maybe something blew or fell into the pool. You haven't added any clarifier have you? I'd get and keep some more chlorine in there though and try to skim the gel off...

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I'm thinking it's from a blue pool noodle the kids had in the pool because the gel seems to mostly be forming around pieces of that. Just had never seen that before. I added bleach last night, just to be safe. I'll clean the gunk out.
    Taylor Complete FAS-DPD

5. Back To Top    #5

Also, I would not increase CYA until you determine if you need to perform the SLAM process.

Can you post a pic of the gel stuff?

We had issues and couldn't run the SWG for a couple weeks so I was using bleach to keep levels at 2ppm
    With CYA of 40, you should keep FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. Follow bleach/liquid chlorine FC/CYA rules when you are not using the SWG.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by regimom88 View Post
    Thanks. I'm thinking it's from a blue pool noodle the kids had in the pool because the gel seems to mostly be forming around pieces of that.
    Any of the kids happen to be wearing nappies (diapers)? A normal nappy (as opposed to a swim nappy) has gel crystals.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    Any of the kids happen to be wearing nappies (diapers)? A normal nappy (as opposed to a swim nappy) has gel crystals.
    Interesting .....
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

8. Back To Top    #8

You know, that's what it looked like to me at first. Like wet diaper insides. No, no kids that small in the pool. I noticed this morning that one of the foam noodle-type water squirters seems to have lost its smooth coating. It's rough, like the foam is breaking down . It's also blue. I backwashed the filter this morning as brushing last night seems to have disturbed all manner of gunk in the pool and there was quite of bit of ick. It's running full speed again. I also had a low salt reading this morning and added a bag of salt. We had a substantial amount of rain last week and I'm thinking that's effecting the chlorine level. I'll go snap a pic of the stuff if the filter hasn't gotten it out yet.
    Taylor Complete FAS-DPD

9. Back To Top    #9

Those foam toys only last about 1 year before they start breaking down and crumbling into the pool.

I just want to reiterate that if you left your SWG on boost overnight and still only register a 0.5ppm FC ... you have a problem in your water.

I would suggest following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process without the SWG and when you pass all 3 criteria to stop, raise the CYA and dial in the SWG.

Also, please add a more useful location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL