Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Plaster - PH then Alkalinity or Alkalinity then PH Adjustment

1. Back To Top    #1

New Plaster - PH then Alkalinity or Alkalinity then PH Adjustment

I do understand that PH can fluctuate for around a year while the plaster cures. However, when you lower the PH, you lower the Alkalinity. I have the Stonescapes aggregated plaster and part of the warranty is to not let the PH go above 7.8. When the PH goes to 7.8, I always lower it because sooner, rather than later, it goes to 8.2.

However, every couple of weeks, the Alkalinity reading drops to below 80. When I adjust that, then I'm tackling an 8.2 PH reading immediately and so the cycle continues.

Is this how it should be? Get the alkalinity in range, deal with the PH, and then once the alkalinity lowers, do it all over again? Or do I not worry about the alkalinity until the PH finally settles, which could be a year away?

14K IG Aggregate Mini Pebble, 1 HP Hayward Single Speed Pump 120 GPM, 175 Sqft Cartridge Filter
    In-Line Chlorinator, 360 Polaris Black Max, Sheer Descent Water Feature. TF-100 Test Kit
    Build Date 2/1994; Remodel Date 4/2014; Original Owner, North Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Plaster - PH then Alkalinity or Alkalinity then PH Adjustment

If you are in the first month since plaster was applied, just keep the PH in range and let TA take care of it's self. Once it has been a month, you switch to maintaining TA in an appropriate range. That said, is the only reason you are trying to keep TA at 80 because of the warranty? TA down to 60 or 70 is alright by our recommended levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Warranty says alkalinity between 80-120. The pool was replastered in April so we are definitely post 30 days.
    14K IG Aggregate Mini Pebble, 1 HP Hayward Single Speed Pump 120 GPM, 175 Sqft Cartridge Filter
    In-Line Chlorinator, 360 Polaris Black Max, Sheer Descent Water Feature. TF-100 Test Kit
    Build Date 2/1994; Remodel Date 4/2014; Original Owner, North Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

PH, PH , PH..........then add add baking soda to raise your TA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!