Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Build- Too Much Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Build- Too Much Chlorine?

We finished our build a couple weeks ago. Overall the process went well. Here is what I have (some is functional):

20x46 rectangle IG vinyl liner- ~35,000 gallons
    500lb sand filter
    1.5 hp single speed pump
    400K BTU NG heater (not functional)
    SWG (not functional)
    2 laminar jets (not functional)

Ever since completion, we've had rain every other day so we haven't been able to get power and gas to the equipment pad. We have been running the pump on a 100' extension cord to keep the water circulating through the filter. We have been maintaining low chlorine levels until the SWG is up and running, but that process has taken way longer than expected.

Due to the weather we also haven't been able to get sod laid, so our pool is surrounded by dirt. Here's the issue. Over the past 24 hours we've had almost six inches of rain along with wind gusts of up to 70 mph. This morning I woke up to water so muddy I couldn't even see the returns and the water was halfway up the coping.

The PB has been helping me keep the water in check, but I kind of freaked out today and did something hopefully not too dumb. Due to the filthy water and the low chlorine levels we were maintaining I went a little crazy with the bleach. Here are my recent readings:

FC 18.5
    CC 0
    CYA 60
    Ph 8

I am starting to freak out that the chlorine is way too high and will ruin...something. Obviously new to pools but looking for a little confidence and don't think it will come from the pool builder.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build- Too Much Chlorine?

If CYA is 60, you're well below shock level. No harm done.

Ignore that pH reading -- with FC above 10, it reads falsely high.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am assuming those numbers came from your own TF-100 or K-2006.

If you are sure about your CYA number, you should be fine.

The FC/CYA chart shows 24 as your SLAM level for 60 CYA for non SWG, which until you can get everything hooked up is what you need to go by. You might even want to up it to full SLAM level until you get the mud out as fairly cheap insurance against a hidden algae bloom.

For the muddy water, just keep filtering and vacuuming to waste. Watch your filter pressure, and backwash at 20% pressure rise over clean. You'll get it cleaned out in no time.

Sorry about the rain you've been getting......It's been missing us and heading to you.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for the info. I did buy the TF-100 and believe the CYA number to be accurate although it could have been a little lower (still not 100% on when I can no longer see the black dot...). I will check it again in the morning.

Thanks again.

5. Back To Top    #5

I feel your pain with the poor weather. I was in almost exactly the same boat for a couple months and my pool did the same thing. Didnt take long to clear it up though. You will be fine.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Pvpool View Post
    We finished our build a couple weeks ago. Overall the process went well. Here is what I have (some is functional):

20x46 rectangle IG vinyl liner- ~35,000 gallons
    500lb sand filter
    1.5 hp single speed pump
    400K BTU NG heater (not functional)
    SWG (not functional)
    2 laminar jets (not functional)

Ever since completion, we've had rain every other day so we haven't been able to get power and gas to the equipment pad. We have been running the pump on a 100' extension cord to keep the water circulating through the filter. We have been maintaining low chlorine levels until the SWG is up and running, but that process has taken way longer than expected.

Due to the weather we also haven't been able to get sod laid, so our pool is surrounded by dirt. Here's the issue. Over the past 24 hours we've had almost six inches of rain along with wind gusts of up to 70 mph. This morning I woke up to water so muddy I couldn't even see the returns and the water was halfway up the coping.

The PB has been helping me keep the water in check, but I kind of freaked out today and did something hopefully not too dumb. Due to the filthy water and the low chlorine levels we were maintaining I went a little crazy with the bleach. Here are my recent readings:

FC 18.5
    CC 0
    CYA 60
    Ph 8

I am starting to freak out that the chlorine is way too high and will ruin...something. Obviously new to pools but looking for a little confidence and don't think it will come from the pool builder.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your description makes it sound to me like surface water has run into your pool.....is that correct? If so, have you taken steps to prevent it from happening again?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The slope around the pool is fine, I might argue the pool elevation is too high even. The mud coming into the pool occurred because of no sod yet, a ton of rain and 70 mph winds. The landscaping including sod will be a few weeks yet as everyone around here is backed up due to the weather. I think having a silt fence installed for the time being is overkill and at some point this rain will stop...

8. Back To Top    #8

PB is asking me to continue to add calcium hardness increaser. I believe my last reading was 250 but will confirm tonight when I get home. Are there other reasons to add if CH levels are fine now?

9. Back To Top    #9

There is no reason to add CH to a vinyl pool, so I would not do it.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the info. You guys are so helpful.

Added signature.
    20x46 Rectangle IG Vinyl, Completion date mid-June 2014
    Depth 3'-3.5'-8', ~35,000 gallons, Hayward 310 Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, ProLogic PS4 Automation w/ SWG
    Textured liner over corner stairs w/ 20' bench, 2 LED Lights, 2 Pentair Laminar Jets, Hayward Sharkvac and TF-100 Testkit

11. Back To Top    #11

Here are the latest readings after a cloudy cool day...with a little rain.

FC- 12.5
    CC- 0.5
    CH- 150 (still not sure if this is too accurate)
    CYA- 50 (I'm more confident the CYA is 50 and not 60 as I thought earlier)
    TA- 130
    Ph- 7.6

I understand with the amount of mud that washed into the pool, the water isn't going to look good for awhile. However I have used the manual vac several times (slowly to limit stirring it up) and it seems to be doing a great job (I can see lines like when you vacuum carpet but with mud/no mud). I am sure some mud is getting mixed into the water and later settling, so I will be persistent with vacuuming. That being said, the water is cloudy. I can see the mud disappear but the cloudiness still limits water clarity. Would this be from the CH increaser the PB put in or just from the mud still in the water? Any remedies to help clear this baby up?

Thanks for all of the advice folks.
    Depth 3'-3.5'-8', ~35,000 gallons, Hayward 310 Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, ProLogic PS4 Automation w/ SWG
    Textured liner over corner stairs w/ 20' bench, 2 LED Lights, 2 Pentair Laminar Jets, Hayward Sharkvac and TF-100 Testkit

12. Back To Top    #12

Keep doing what you are doing, and see what it looks like when you have the mud gone. You may need to SLAM it to get it completely clear.

Ask your PB why he thinks you need higher CH for a vinyl lined pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

The numbers continue to look good, the water however does not. I asked the PB why we should add CH increase to a vinyl lined pool. He hasn't responded yet.

FC- 6
    CC-0
    pH- 7.5

I didn't do all the tests this morning. The last time I did a more full set of tests was Wednesday night, with these results:

FC-12.5
    CC- 0.5
    CYA- 50
    CH- 150
    TA- 130
    pH- 7.6

I am losing less than 1ppm of chlorine overnight (although by the time I have tested, the sun has been hitting the pool for about 30-mins) and CC seems to always register 0 or 0.5. That being said, the water is still incredibly cloudy/muddy. This is probably a very unique situation, but should I start seeing results of the consistent vacuuming? The storm was Monday night and it's now Friday morning. I've done the manual vacuum a couple hours/day (more yesterday because I was off work) and also run the robot vac a little.

Maybe part of the issue is my backwash process. I've backwashed and rinsed several times during my vacuuming but each time I'm done and start filter mode again, the return water is VERY dirty. It's like everything I just vacuumed is put back into the pool. Is that a sign that I should backwash/rinse longer?

I think next time (hopefully there isn't one) I wouldn't partially drain first (I did that when the pool was overflowing because of the rain. I would let the dirt settle and then vacuum to waste (I didn't do my homework to know that was an option...). I would go through a lot of water, but I think that would have been more productive than vacuum/backwash.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Pvpool View Post
    Maybe part of the issue is my backwash process. I've backwashed and rinsed several times during my vacuuming but each time I'm done and start filter mode again, the return water is VERY dirty. It's like everything I just vacuumed is put back into the pool. Is that a sign that I should backwash/rinse longer?
    I would say so.

When the visible dirt drifts stop forming, you would be a good candidate for Adding DE to your sand filter. It puts a fine layer of DE on top of the sand bed - picture setting a window screen on top a barbecue grate - and really cleans the water. The downside is, your filter loads up really fast, so you'll need to backwash even more and replace the DE after each cycle.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!