Green and Cloudy Please Help

Jul 1, 2014
Ashland/Ohio
I posted this over in Chemistry 201, but I wasnt sure if I should post it here instead... This is my first post and I apologize if I posted in the wrong group.

Greenish blue/ cloudy water please help

Hello- I just put up a 24ft round x 48 inch deep above ground pool one month ago...it has been pretty challenging to get the water looking clear and the pool clean. I got the water trucked in, then added what the pool store told me to, two days later I went out of town for a few days for work and I come home and find my pump quit working and the pool is green. I used a floc, and it worked, the next day everything was laying on the bottom of the pool and the water was clear, i vacuumed to waste a few times to get it out, got more water trucked in, but still had a greenish tint to the water, now its just cloudy and still greenish blue. The last 3 weeks I have spent a few hundred dollars going off the pool stores recommendations to clear it up...I have used a algacide , clarifier , shocked and nothing has changed the last two weeks. I have backwashed the sand filter, today I used a cleaner to clean the sand which my wife purchased. I dont know what else to do, maybe replace the filter? If that dont work just drain it? My wife purchased the pool used and it is 4 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are my numbers for the pool..

CYA-44
FC-12.. I just shocked it last night
PH 7.8
Tot. Alkalinity 142
Adj. Total Alk. 129
Total Hardness- 265
Borates 12 the print out says ideal is 30-35?
Copper 0.5
Iron 0.2

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Hello and welcome! :flower:

You've come to the right place to learn about how to care for your pool! In order to do that, you are gonna need reliable test results. The results you've posted appear to be from a pool store maybe? I hate to tell you but that's not the most reliable place to get results. The same for test strips. There are a few different kits but I recommend the TF-100 (with the Speed Stir cause it's just too fun!) with the XL option. I know it's difficult to hear "spend more $$$" after you've already spent so much at the pool store. Trust me, it's worth the investment. TFP methods are based in good testing and understanding what you are putting into your water and why.

So let's get to learnin'....We will start in Pool School with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Read this and read it again.

Pool Math is the handiest tool around! It does all the calculations for you provided you enter correctly your pool information and test results.

First and foremost, please stop adding "stuff" for the moment until you get your own test kit. From what you write, your water is cloudy and green. You will be SLAMming your pool eventually. Understand that SLAM is an ongoing process, not a one time quick fix as portrayed by pool store cures that obviously don't work. READ ME!! I will teach you how to SLAM!

Oh, and it's helpful if you update your signature. You can find how to do that HERE. Please and thank you.

Once you get your kit and run your first set of numbers, post them here. There are tons of others that were where you are at one point and are willing to help get you back to clear and swimming as quickly and cost effectively as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and we love pictures! :mrgreen: (Plus it's a great way for you to see the day to day progress of pool methods that work!)

I will order the kit, i do have one i purchased a few weeks ago from another pool store, its a swimtime 8840... My wife took the sample to the pool store in town here because they are not a "Chain" pool store and have been around for years. They use an electronic testing device... i have tested against there results a few times and everything seems to match up. Anything i can do in the meantime?

Brush, filter, read, learn. LOL I know you want to jump in and "do something" because you look at your lovely pool and want to "fix" it. But without a good solid test base (and I appreciate pool stores for what they do well but testing isn't one of them), you will be flying blind.

How have you chlorinated in the past? All chlorine is not created equal. Pucks add stuff other than just chlorine. Some add calcium and others add CYA. I think I will add "How to chlorinate your pool" to your summer reading list. :mrgreen:

Then it's quite possible that your CYA is high but no way of knowing how high until your get your kit. CYA is the sunscreen of FC (free chlorine). You need some but too much is counter productive. The higher the CYA, the more bleach you need to get an appropriate FC level.

This a good chart to become familiar with as well. :lookhere: CYA/Chlorine Chart

You sick of my links yet? I promise it starts making sense after a while.

Not sick of the links, I will be reading all of them ..I will pick up a good test kit tomorrow after work
Don't bother trying locally. You want one of the recommended kits. These are generally not stocked as most pool stores don't think you need to be able to test - Just come see us

it is extremely important the kit you buy contains the FAS/DPD chlorine test. Don't let the pool store tell you something else is just as good.

Having similar issue's but using the pool school to fix issue's, Seems to be getting better so Ill wait to ask.

First Post :). Been pouching info from this site and found a treasure chest of information so I say THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.