Intex/Summer Escapes pump alternative

Jul 1, 2014
Millington/MI
Hello,

We bought the kids an Intex 15'/42 or 48" pool from Toys R Us last year and the pump went bad today (maybe three months of use). All of the reviews of these pumps are terrible so I don't want to spend the money on a replacement. It is the type of pump that is at the bottom of a canister that hangs off the side of the pool. Are there any cheap alternatives where I could leave the bad pump there (due to the opening it would leave) and hook something else up to the plastic hose (guessing 1 or 2" diameter), or is there some kind of conversion hardware to close the hole and go to a different type of pump? I called Intex and it was extremely frustrating. She said that because I bought it from Toys R Us, it was actually a Summer Escapes pump and not something Intex would sell. Just looking for some ideas/pictures as to how other people have dealt with the pump issue.

You called Intex about another companies pool, and it was extremely frustrating for you? I wonder how frustrating it was for them?

The Intex 2650 gph sand filter gets good reviews. I'm happy with mine. I believe there was just a thread recently where someone was trying to adapt a Summer Escapes pool to another pump.

In case it was missed, I'll say it again. It is an Intex pool. It was on the box and it has Intex on the side of the pool. My guess is that they are made by the same company because she said it was a special case if it was purchased from Toys R Us last year. Since several people have issues with this pump and their support is so disjointed I am looking for an alternative setup.

That is strange. I don't think I've seen an Intex with the pump hanging on the side. My ProSeries pool (made by either Bestway or Summer Escapes, not sure) has that.

In the meantime, I purchased the Intex 2650 sand filter for my pool, cut new holes and hooked it all up (left the old skimmer pump hanging from the side - it's not nearly big enough to clear the pool but does a great job skimming the bugs off the surface!). Intex also makes a smaller sand filter that would probably be big enough for your pool.

I have a summer escapes pool as well. It sounds like what you have is a summer escapes pool sold by toys r us under the intex name for whatever reason. The intex pools usually do not have the skimmer.

At any rate, what you will need to adapt to the intex sand filter is one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Escape...302573&sr=8-2&keywords=summer+escapes+adapter for the skimmer,

and one of these for your return : http://www.lowes.com/pd_192069-1003-AFT601_0__?productId=3151503&Ntt=

The lowe's part is pressure fit to the return, then you clamp the intex hoses to these adapters. It worked for me for now until I can get some ball valves inline I use boat plugs when I need to cut off water flow to perform maint. on the filter.

Hope that helps.

Also, I don't think many people realize this but the company "polygroup" appears to be the manufacturer of both pools and if I recall it is printed on the intex pools and definitely is printed on my summer escapes pool. JMHO

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.