Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Should I Add Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Lincoln, Ca.

New Pool Should I Add Borates

Ive read 'So you want to add Borates to your pool--Why and How' and im comfortable with the process but have a couple questions. Our pool is 9 months old and since the beginning I have been fighting PH rise which I understand from the forum is very common for a new plaster pool. I would like to utilize Borates for the crystal water along with good feel and hoping maybe I can slow down my PH rise. My questions are is there any issue with adding Borates to a newer pool or should I wait for PH to balance, and I noticed for chlorine pool the Borate procedure calls to raise TA to 100 is that to compensate for the adding the acid during the process? I am open to any additional feedback on adding Borates or your experience, I have been doing BBB method since the water went in the pool and my water has been great Im just looking to enhance it more and maybe save some chemical in the process.
    12,500 Gallon PebbleFina Pool, Jandy CV#460 Filter, Jandy 1.5HP Variable Speed Pump, Jandy PLC1400,Aqualink RS, Clear O3 Ozone, Jandy Pro Series Color LED, 300 Sq.Ft. Heliocoil Solar.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New Pool Should I Add Borates

There's no problem with adding them, but the probably won't save you any'll just have to add more of it less often, since it slows the rise by making the pH harder to change. I wouldn't worry about raising TA unless it's very low...<50 maybe.

I don't see a salt system in your signature, but if you do have one, borates will reduce the scaling in the cell.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden