Getting stuff ready

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
Hello,

I am moving in a house with a pool next week. Looking to stock up a few items. Help me here.

Already have the following:

-ordered the TF-100 Test with speedstir

-a net to pick debris

Will need the following:

1) stock up bleach/chlorine

2) cyanuric acid from pool store

3) Kem-Tek 2-Gallon Muriatic Acid from Lowes

4) vacuum (electric robotic or connected to skimmer). Any recommendations ? I read the Dolphin brand with the electric that is independent of the skimmer has great reviews.

1- Yes
2- or Walmart or hardware store
3- They only sell half strength stuff here for the same price as the full strength at the pool store.
4- Lots of options. If you go with suction, get ThePoolCleaner. Not sure what robot to recommend.

Hello,

I am moving in a house with a pool next week. Looking to stock up a few items. Help me here.

Already have the following:

-ordered the TF-100 Test with speedstir

-a net to pick debris

Will need the following:

1) stock up bleach/chlorine

2) cyanuric acid from pool store

3) Kem-Tek 2-Gallon Muriatic Acid from Lowes

4) vacuum (electric robotic or connected to skimmer). Any recommendations ? I read the Dolphin brand with the electric that is independent of the skimmer has great reviews.
How do you know you need CYA? Most everyone has too high CYA from continuous puck usage.

If this is the acid you plan to buy- it's half-strength stuff. You'll need to pay the deposit on the jugs and crate, but you can buy full strength stuff for a lot less at Johnny's. I sent you a PM the other day. You can also mix-n-match 31% acid and 12.5% bleach if you want. Yesterday I bought 4 gallons of each - $37.50 out the door, taxed and everything. Plus I got 8 punches on my buy 11, get 1 free card. I already had the empties to exchange.

Good catch Richard ... for some reason I had it in my head that the pool was a new fresh fill and would need CYA.

I am not doing well today keeping things straight :hammer:

Thanks guys. I really think I prefer the suction ones that connect to the skimmer. Learning a lot here already.

Richard, just confirming that I can mix a ratio of 31% acid (Muriatic Acid) and 12.5% bleach together?

Also for the The Poolcleaner 4X suction, do I just hook it up 24/7 and leave it there and when the pumps run, it will do its job? I am assuming I have to check the other basket near the pump more often if it is connected to the skimmer.

TT

Thanks guys. I really think I prefer the suction ones that connect to the skimmer. Learning a lot here already.

Richard, just confirming that I can mix a ratio of 31% acid (Muriatic Acid) and 12.5% bleach together?

TT
Not the chemicals themselves. You can buy a combination 3/1 or 2/2 at the pool store. Just has to be multiples of 4.

Do NOT mix bleach and muriatic acid directly with each other - it will release chlorine gas.
What was meant is that you do not necessarily have to buy 4 jugs of bleach and 4 jugs of muriatic acid, you can buy 3 jugs of one and 1 jug of another, or 2 of each.

Also, there is no fixed ratio of bleach to muriatic acid, you should base additions on PoolMath rather than taking what the guy at the pool store told you at face value.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much.

Do NOT mix bleach and muriatic acid directly with each other - it will release chlorine gas.
What was meant is that you do not necessarily have to buy 4 jugs of bleach and 4 jugs of muriatic acid, you can buy 3 jugs of one and 1 jug of another, or 2 of each.

Also, there is no fixed ratio of bleach to muriatic acid, you should base additions on PoolMath rather than taking what the guy at the pool store told you at face value.

Also, do not store MA near the chlorine. You want to make sure they cannot come in contact with each other if a leak happens.

What type and size pool is it?

John

Its a chlorine pool (conventional), kidney shape. I will get the dimension once I get the keys this Thursday. Ordered the ThePoolCleaner 4x. Thanks for the advice.

For those who advised not to mix bleach and muriatic acid together, I assumed when its time to pour them into the pool, I would want to do it at different time with long interval between each other?

Its a chlorine pool (conventional), kidney shape. I will get the dimension once I get the keys this Thursday. Ordered the ThePoolCleaner 4x. Thanks for the advice.

For those who advised not to mix bleach and muriatic acid together, I assumed when its time to pour them into the pool, I would want to do it at different time with long interval between each other?

I do the chlorine and muriatic additions about 30 mins apart..

If you haven't already done so, take your test kit with you on your initial walk through and run the full battery of tests and post the results here. Give us an idea of overall water appearance. A pool on the edge will fall over rather quickly without swift and decisive action.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.