Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting stuff ready

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting stuff ready

Hello,

I am moving in a house with a pool next week. Looking to stock up a few items. Help me here.

Already have the following:

-ordered the TF-100 Test with speedstir

-a net to pick debris

Will need the following:

1) stock up bleach/chlorine

2) cyanuric acid from pool store

3) Kem-Tek 2-Gallon Muriatic Acid from Lowes

4) vacuum (electric robotic or connected to skimmer). Any recommendations ? I read the Dolphin brand with the electric that is independent of the skimmer has great reviews.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting stuff ready

1- Yes
    2- or Walmart or hardware store
    3- They only sell half strength stuff here for the same price as the full strength at the pool store.
    4- Lots of options. If you go with suction, get ThePoolCleaner. Not sure what robot to recommend.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar2000 View Post
    Hello,

I am moving in a house with a pool next week. Looking to stock up a few items. Help me here.

Already have the following:

-ordered the TF-100 Test with speedstir

-a net to pick debris

Will need the following:

1) stock up bleach/chlorine

2) cyanuric acid from pool store

3) Kem-Tek 2-Gallon Muriatic Acid from Lowes

4) vacuum (electric robotic or connected to skimmer). Any recommendations ? I read the Dolphin brand with the electric that is independent of the skimmer has great reviews.
    How do you know you need CYA? Most everyone has too high CYA from continuous puck usage.

If this is the acid you plan to buy- it's half-strength stuff. You'll need to pay the deposit on the jugs and crate, but you can buy full strength stuff for a lot less at Johnny's. I sent you a PM the other day. You can also mix-n-match 31% acid and 12.5% bleach if you want. Yesterday I bought 4 gallons of each - $37.50 out the door, taxed and everything. Plus I got 8 punches on my buy 11, get 1 free card. I already had the empties to exchange.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm with Richard. Don't buy CYA yet, shop around and price it. If you do end up needing it, you'll know where to go.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Good catch Richard ... for some reason I had it in my head that the pool was a new fresh fill and would need CYA.

I am not doing well today keeping things straight
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I really think I prefer the suction ones that connect to the skimmer. Learning a lot here already.

Richard, just confirming that I can mix a ratio of 31% acid (Muriatic Acid) and 12.5% bleach together?

Also for the The Poolcleaner 4X suction, do I just hook it up 24/7 and leave it there and when the pumps run, it will do its job? I am assuming I have to check the other basket near the pump more often if it is connected to the skimmer.

TT

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys. I really think I prefer the suction ones that connect to the skimmer. Learning a lot here already.

Richard, just confirming that I can mix a ratio of 31% acid (Muriatic Acid) and 12.5% bleach together?

TT
    Not the chemicals themselves. You can buy a combination 3/1 or 2/2 at the pool store. Just has to be multiples of 4.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

And since I misread that the first couple of times myself, that's a combination of gallon jugs, eg 3 x 1 gallon jugs of bleach and 1 x 1 gallon jug of acid for a total of 4 jugs.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    And since I misread that the first couple of times myself, that's a combination of gallon jugs, eg 3 x 1 gallon jugs of bleach and 1 x 1 gallon jug of acid for a total of 4 jugs.
    A guy at the pool store said the same 3 to 1 ratio (bleach to acid).

10. Back To Top    #10

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Do NOT mix bleach and muriatic acid directly with each other - it will release chlorine gas.
    What was meant is that you do not necessarily have to buy 4 jugs of bleach and 4 jugs of muriatic acid, you can buy 3 jugs of one and 1 jug of another, or 2 of each.

Also, there is no fixed ratio of bleach to muriatic acid, you should base additions on PoolMath rather than taking what the guy at the pool store told you at face value.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post
    Do NOT mix bleach and muriatic acid directly with each other - it will release chlorine gas.
    What was meant is that you do not necessarily have to buy 4 jugs of bleach and 4 jugs of muriatic acid, you can buy 3 jugs of one and 1 jug of another, or 2 of each.

Also, there is no fixed ratio of bleach to muriatic acid, you should base additions on PoolMath rather than taking what the guy at the pool store told you at face value.

12. Back To Top    #12

usually the previous owner will leave brush and net etc behind
    but if not add a brush to your list
    pool noodles or other toys
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail K View Post

Also, do not store MA near the chlorine. You want to make sure they cannot come in contact with each other if a leak happens.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

14. Back To Top    #14

What type and size pool is it?

John
    IG 33K Gallons 20'X40', Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T2 (zeolite), Pentair Intelliflo 3HP SVRS Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
    What type and size pool is it?

John
    Its a chlorine pool (conventional), kidney shape. I will get the dimension once I get the keys this Thursday. Ordered the ThePoolCleaner 4x. Thanks for the advice.

For those who advised not to mix bleach and muriatic acid together, I assumed when its time to pour them into the pool, I would want to do it at different time with long interval between each other?

16. Back To Top    #16

Its a chlorine pool (conventional), kidney shape. I will get the dimension once I get the keys this Thursday. Ordered the ThePoolCleaner 4x. Thanks for the advice.

For those who advised not to mix bleach and muriatic acid together, I assumed when its time to pour them into the pool, I would want to do it at different time with long interval between each other?
    I do the chlorine and muriatic additions about 30 mins apart..
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

17. Back To Top    #17

After pouring in to the pool, it is near impossible to have a reaction after just a few minutes. 30 minutes is safe, but you do not need nearly that long.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    After pouring in to the pool, it is near impossible to have a reaction after just a few minutes. 30 minutes is safe, but you do not need nearly that long.
    Thanks. Also to TSiGirl.

19. Back To Top    #19

I add my chemicals very closely in time. Measure MA, Dump MA in front of shallow end return, rinse cup, measure chlorine if needed, dump chlorine in front of deep end jet, rinse cup.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

20. Back To Top    #20

If you haven't already done so, take your test kit with you on your initial walk through and run the full battery of tests and post the results here. Give us an idea of overall water appearance. A pool on the edge will fall over rather quickly without swift and decisive action.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter