Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to make adjustments?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to make adjustments?

Current numbers:
    FC. 2.5
    CC. .5 (could this be from 50 june bugs in the skimmer?)
    PH. 7.8
    TA. 90
    CH. 240
    CYA. 50
    Water temp 88 and sparkly.
    Added 75oz for a target of 6. Will recheck in 30 minutes.
    I know my minimum should be 4. But in this heat I can not, so far, hold that. Pool is open to full sun all day. Should I try to raise CYA? Is the level of FC that CYA protects a particular amount? If I raised the CYA , my target and minimum would be higher but I don't know if it would still protect down to the minimum.
    Or should I just shut up and keep swimming?
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to make adjustments?

After 35 minutes
    FC. 7.5
    So I know my bleach is good
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13

3. Back To Top    #3

Just curious, why is your target 6 rather than 8 if you're having trouble staying above 4 ? PoolMath says the FC range for 50 CYA is 4-8. If you raise to 8 I wouldn't expect it to drop below 4 by the end of the day unless something is living in your pool and not paying rent.

I'll leave advise about raising CYA over 50 to folks from Texas (and Arizona and California) where they have real sun
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Cya/FC chart for 50 cya shows 4 - 6. Am i missing something?

5. Back To Top    #5

You have to raise it high enough to never drop below the minimum ... that is the most important. I guess we will find out tomorrow if 6ppm is high enough for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It won't be, I've been targeting 6 for a couple of weeks. After reading Bridgman's post, I went back to pool math. I have never noticed the blue section at the bottom for suggested FC. Now I know where he got the 4-8. I'm gonna give that a try. Is there a correlation problem between cya chart and pool math?

7. Back To Top    #7

I added another 11oz to get to target of 8. Now, we will see what happens tomorrow. Bridgman, if this works, you get my vote for "THE MAN" . I would buy you a beer if this is the secret if you weren't so far away. How close are you to Calgary?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Reddogdan View Post
    Cya/FC chart for 50 cya shows 4 - 6. Am i missing something?
    Nope, you're right. Chlorine/CYA chart in PoolSchool => Handy Reference says 4-6, PoolMath says 4-8.

Probably best if you read it as "4-<whatever it takes so that FC does not drop below 4 by the next time you regularly test>"

- - - Updated - - -

I would buy you a beer if this is the secret if you weren't so far away. How close are you to Calgary?
    I'm 3,597 km away going through the US and taking the Interstate (seems to be the fastest route). ~65 km north-east of Toronto.

If it works I'll raise a beer towards Calgary tomorrow evening

EDIT -- oops, you're nowhere near Calgary either... so will raise in the general direction of Texas instead.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

After 35 minutes
    FC. 7.5
    So I know my bleach is good
    or the pool is smaller than calculated gallons?

I agree that you should shoot for a FC target of 8.

Tonight, I suggest that you do an OCLT to make sure organics are not a problem.

or, as Bridgman said,
    ....... unless something is living in your pool and not paying rent.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the suggestion Butterfly, but for Texas, I'm thinking now that the 4-8 would be a better range. That and I have to be at work at 4am. If I'm below 4 tomorrow, then I'll do another OCLT for the fun of it. As to my other question, could 50 dead June bugs in the skimmer cause the .5 cc? It's actually probably less since the tube smells the drops and goes back clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yay, I held my minimum of 4

12. Back To Top    #12

Bump it back up to 7-8ppm and check again tomorrow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

13. Back To Top    #13

The june bugs may have created just enough CC for your tube to 'smell' it, then it dissipated

It is not unusual for a pool to test positive for CC occasionally and during the day the sun could burn it off just as fast.

Happy Swims
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Held at FC. 4.5 today target was 8. So for me that's, 75oz 8.25 bleach. Should I think about raising my CYA to 60 and hope I can add less bleach per day? Still, it's only about $2.00 a day in bleach. Suggestions?

15. Back To Top    #15

Still staying at FC 4.5 thru the afternoon. I guess my pool is gonna be a 3.5 ppm vampire.

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, if you have a lot of sun, you might want to bump the CYA up to 55ish. Adjust FC accordingly and try that for a while.

17. Back To Top    #17

I have full sun until 4:00pm