Dive-In Theaters

We do movies in the pool a few times per year, the only down side is this time of year we have to wait until after 9 pm for it to get dark enough to start the movie. The equipment I use is an older JVC DLA G15U projector (new it was a $9,000 projector 15 years ago, I bought mine used about 6 or 7 years ago at a very low price) There are much better projectors out there today, but overall mine mostly holds its own against many lower end consumer models with about 720P resolution for 16x9 images (it is a 4x3 projector) and only has analog input, projection source is a laptop computer with projector connected to the VGA port. Speakers are Samsung HW-E550 2.1 channel system, these consist of a pair of front tower / bar convertible speakers and a center channel subwoofer, the nice thing about this setup for projector use is the front tower speakers are wireless (wired together in tower mode, or plug together as a bar) as and audio input subwoofer cube which can be placed center back by the projector. Most other brands with wireless are the other way around with remote wireless subwoofer and inputs going into front channel speakers. (this model seems to be discontinued now, I am not sure about replacements, but these are still widely available). My screen is a Camp Chef screen model OS-120 (original style not new lightweight OS-120L) 120 inch diagonal size 59x104 view area. My one wish on the screen would be, I wish the bottom of the projection area would be closer to the ground, instead of about 30 inches off the ground, bigger would also be nice, but mine works well with projection across the pool, and screen a out 3 ft from edge of pool, total projection distance about 33 feet. This requires my projector to be at about max zoom to fit the image on the 120 inch screen width. Prior to the 120 inch screen I used an 84 inch Sony 16x9 model, the 120 is a big improvement, but I think a 144 or 160 would be better yet.) As far as movie selection goes we have found that plotless wonders work best, you don't want anything anyone has to pay close attention to with people floating around, etc.

Ike

Neat idea!! Would you watch Kevin Costner in Waterworld?

We have never watched in the pool, but in each house I mount a box on the wall by the hot tub and put a TV inside. I can spend hours out there. Now with the pool, I find myself going back and forth between the tub and pool.

I haven't seen the $100 screen build, but imagine it could be done pretty easily based on what I have seen. Heck, you could get by with hanging white bedsheets on PVC pipe and the kids would still enjoy it!

I'll probably go with a screen like the ES Yard Master or Camp Chef that can be assembled in 20 minutes or so. You can't really leave them up year-round up here. I have some old audio gear already that I can use, and I can drag out the PS3 to play Blu-Ray and DVD's. So projector is the other purchase I'll need to make. Looking at various refurb's, but I get nervous because the one time I bought a refurb phone it was absolute garbage. No rush though...pool isn't done yet and then I have plenty of landscaping to do as well.

We have never watched Waterworld in the pool, but we have watched the Abyss

Make sure to price replacement bulbs on projectors, they can be insanely expensive.

Ike

p.s. I would put assembly time on my old style Camp Chef OS-120 at about 5-10 minutes with 2 people, it does have some issues that I hope they have fixed with the newer models, worst part was the connect A-A B-B markings were on white paper dot stickers that tend to fall off pipe frame section. The new style ones seem to have clip on screens also, where mine has slide through sleeves in the fabric.

I recently bought all my screen frame fittings at Yuma's Bargain warehouse. Great 3/4" EMT fittings that have eyebolts to make frame. Use bungees to hold tarp in place.
I have mine at 10x12Ft. My setup was LESS than $100.
Kids think it is AWESOME!

Jernat, can you post some pix?? Sounds awesome. I have a Camp Chef on a stand but it is too short to be seen other than at the pool's edge (we have above ground). Someday I'll figure out how to get it up higher without becoming a wind-sail!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is my dive in theatre which is a 47" TV on an articulating arm in my pool cabana that can swing out and be viewable from the pool:

Attachments

• pool tv.jpg
    pool tv.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 306
I use the camp chef 0S132. It has a removable back for projecting through the screen. I bought it on Amazon for a fair price. I bought my projector on Ebay on the cheap. I didnt go nuts on the projector because in my opinion, for outdoor movies, nobody is that caught up in the quality. It looks good but not great. You just need to be careful with the cheaper projectors because the throw distances are not as variable. For my indoor movie room, I had to use a much more expensive projector.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvkycekkd5ltyx9/2014-05-02 19.40.15.jpg

I also have the issue of having to start at 8:30pm - 9pm. It has to be fairly dark out.
The thing is painfully large. We only use it a few times a year. Anymore and Im sure the neighbors would be losing it :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lhf6s8164hur1r/2014-05-02 20.17.26.jpg

Here is a pic from when we were playing around with it. We didnt put it poolside yet or have the projector throw distance correct, but you can get and idea of the picture. Of course Frozen is on. Ive had to endure watching that every day for the last year :brickwall:

We bought an "office" projector years ago and it worked great for our movie needs until the bulb finally quit on us. When I went searching prices for bulbs, I found a used projector of the same model with a new bulb with it for cheaper than the cost of a bulb alone. Since we knew the projector was decent enough to fit our needs, I simply bought a new one so I could gain the new bulb... now I have back-up parts :)

We have yet to do movies with it out by the pool. I think it would be fun, but would start so late for the kids. By the time it gets dark sooner it will likely be too cold to be in the pool :/

Sorry for the late response.
Here is a picture of my dive in theater.
IMG_1459_zpsce2fc174.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.