Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Were my pool stairs installed properly?

1. Back To Top    #1

Were my pool stairs installed properly?

Hi everyone. I am new to pool ownership having recently had my first pool installed. It is a steel in-ground pool with a vinyl liner, cantilever coping, and fiberglass (acrylic?) stairs. After having enjoyed the pool for a few weeks, I wonder if the builder might have installed my pool stairs incorrectly. At the junction where the liner meets the stairs, there is a gap where water leaks out whenever there are any waves caused by swimmers. I have attached a couple of photos so you can see what I mean.

What puzzles me is that the stairs are installed beneath the concrete coping, but my stairs have a bulge that sticks out. The bulge seems to be the same shape as the cantilever coping. What is the purpose of this bulge? The liner is held in place by a channel that ends below the bulge because the bulge is in the way. Were the stairs supposed to be installed flush with the deck surface? That is, is the purpose of the bulge to match the coping contour? Or did the builder install the wrong stairs for use with cantilever coping?

It just seems odd that there is a gaping hole were a small amount water leaks out thousands of times per day. Over time this adds up such that A LOT of water leaking below the concrete deck. I suspect this will cause problems over time. I spoke to my builder and he says the installation was normal and correct, and there is nothing to worry about. I am looking for a second opinion. Is he being truthful? Thanks for any help you can offer.

1 pool stairs far view.jpg2 pool stairs close view b.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Were my pool stairs installed properly?

I'd say that there should be some trim and sealant over that exposed edge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

That doesn't look finished for sure. I would not be happy with that.
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Coping is nice! What is it?
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello mad.
    If I were you, I would look up the manufacturer and model of those steps to see how its trimmed out.

On my steps that piece of trim that holds the liner is not attached to the face of the step like your is. I believe that white piece is supposed to be on the "lip" of the steps which goes behind the liner about an inch or maybe a little more. Moving the trip off of the face of the steps would allow the liner to come straight up to the bottom of the coping, like its supposed to.

Here is a pic of mine. You can see how the white trim is not on the face of the steps like yours is. Dont know if this helps describe what Im trying to say or not.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks totally wrong to me. Personally for me that would be totally unacceptable, there should not be a way for the water to get behind the liner.
    Steve ~16K IG Vinyl Pool, Hayward TriStar 1.5 hp, Hayward S244TE filter, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, Prologic PL-P-4, Hayward AquaConnect, 3 PAL LED lights, 3 Deck Jets, AquaComfort ACT 1100 heater and TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

TBH, to me it looks more like he butchered the liner right there than improperly installed the steps. Id be burning up his phone.....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

To me it looks like the steps should have been installed higher so that they were even with the coping. The edges are straight where the liner attaches, then at the same level as the coping there is a "bulge" that would mimic a coping line. If they had been installed higher and the coping lined up with the "bulge", the liner would be caught in the track all the way up to the coping line and everything would be fine. I am seriously no expert on this at all, but it looks really wrong to me - not just like you are missing a piece of trim wrong, but wrong wrong.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

9. Back To Top    #9

I found a picture of some that I think demonstrates what I was trying to say. See how these are set up higher so that the top of the steps is actually even with the coping?

~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Did he come and look or just dismiss you on the phone? I would make sure he sees it so he fully grasps what you mean.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Steps are installed to deep, they should be flush with the ground, not having the patio come over the top. Whose idea was that? The bulge on the steps is there to meet the edge of the coping on the pool. As someone else said, that isn't just a little wrong, but wrong wrong. It looks like they cut the liner to try and fix their mistake also.

12. Back To Top    #12

Vinyl Pool Steps come in two models or designs...
    Model number one is like my pool and the on that G&G posted, with the top edge of the steps level, or there abouts, with top of the deck.
    Model 2 is the cantelevered steps and is desging to have coping on top of it. The cantilevered step should be the on installed on the OPs pool.

WHich step was installed is paramount in determing what should be done to fix it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

Any update?
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster