Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: GFCI trips with rain

1. Back To Top    #1

GFCI trips with rain

Split by moderator from HERE so as to not clutter up the sticky. jblizzle

Do you think I could use my little submersible pump to help control the overflow of water? I could divert it with a hose away from the area I don't want it. I'm considering holding the pump near the top so the sand has plenty of room to move (Ok, I'll be making my 9 yr old do that part- lol). Its fine if some of the water overflows, but I don't want all of it to sit there by my filter and throw my breaker... Can anyone see a reason this wouldn't work?
    Owner of: 15,000g AG vinyl lined pool. Hayward Powerflo pump and sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Welcome to the forum

That should work. I use a small pond pump to mix chemicals before adding to pool.

But why do you think water near your filter will trip the breaker ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not very handy so I'm sure I'm using the wrong terminology. But the power line that my pool plugs into is run out of my garage. Both the box I plug the pool into and the box in the garage are grounded with those 'dont electrocute yourself' breaker things. So heavy rain or when I didn't know how to stop the flow of water so water just drained from my pool everytime I cleaned the filter basket- it would trip one or both of these buttons and I'd have to wait for the ground to dry out before I could power up the pool again.

I dunno. The previous owners of this house were kind of nuts...
    Owner of: 15,000g AG vinyl lined pool. Hayward Powerflo pump and sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Those things are GFIs or GFCIs, Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters and they are a very good thing. They shouldn't however trip just from the ground being wet unless there is something wrong with the wiring like a nick in the insulation, wire came loose or ??? There is no way it should trip just from rain.
    Would like to "see" the installation in case anything sticks out. That is if you have the time and want to go through the bother of taking pics and posting.
    If you do you might want to start a new thread in "pumping station" or "everything else". IMHO it's worth the trouble to find out what's wrong so you know the circuit to the pumps is good and those GFIs are working the way they should.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!