Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ryan from Boston with test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Ryan from Boston with test results

Cheers everyone,

I am new here. My second summer as a pool owner and I have put $250.00 in pool store chemicals into the pool so far and it is still cloudy gray. Decided I wanted to take control of my pool and ordered the TF-100.

I have done some lurking but would love any advice...Numbers are as of this past hour...

FC - 10 PPM, CC - 1.5, TC - 11.5, CH 575 PPM, TA - 150, CYA - 30, C1 3 BR 6, PH 7.5

Pool was light green /cloudy last sunday the 22nd, I brushed and vaccumed, backwashed 2 times within an 8 hour period. Monday I added another 3lb of powder shock and have had the filter on 24 / 7 since...I backwashed the filter again on Wednesday 6/25 and again yesterday 6/29/ Have added 2 chlorine pucks to the skimmer in the past week.

Do I lower CH, maybe replace sand (I belive its 4-5 years old), add some DE to the skimmer, try a skimmer sock?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ryan

19,300 gal
    Inground - Vinyl
    Hayward S200 Sand Filter
    Hayward superpump 3/4 HP
    Last edited by thafunpolice; 06-30-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Pool specs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ryan from Boston

High CH isn't your problem.
    Sand doesn't need replacing.
    DE added only at the END of the SLAM process is necessary.
    Your SLAM level for cya of 30 is 12---don't fall below it.
    Only backwash when filter pressure rises 25% over normal clean pressure.
    Any crud still on the bottom of the pool?

You should follow the instruction sin Pool School on SLAMming your pool and use liquid bleach. Pucks won't get you there.
    Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey woody. Thanks for the info! I will try this tomorrow when I get out if work. Some debris still on the bottom but not much. I lost a ladder bumper and had to dive down and Noticed some leaves still. Had a few people swim yesterday so it believe any last sediment may have been kicked up. What is a good amount of bleach to buy. 3-4 bottles of Clorox or similar? Like the pic btw. Seeing buffet in a month !
    19,300 gal
    Inground - Vinyl
    Hayward S200 Sand Filter
    Hayward superpump 3/4 HP
    Hammock, dark n stormy, bob marley

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum

What is the CH of your fill water?

Ignore the Br test - that is to measure bromine and you are only interested in the chlorine test
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Ryan from Boston with test results

Welcome to TFP!!!

What "powdered shock" were you adding? If cal-hypo, that is making your CH higher and could be contributing to the cloudiness. If dichlor or trichlor, that is adding CYA (just like the tablets are). you need to be careful you do not raise it too much.

Are you using PoolMath to calculate your dosages?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi butterfly. I can check the fill water when I get home tonight. I have added a few inches from the hose to compensate for evaporation and backwashing etc. I think my CH issue is from my local pool store directions where they instructed me to increase my CH during my initial opening 2 weeks ago. Not sure exactly how much I had put in then. I will follow up. Plan on starting a slam this evening after testing again.
    19,300 gal
    Inground - Vinyl
    Hayward S200 Sand Filter
    Hayward superpump 3/4 HP

7. Back To Top    #7

Jb, I added 11lbs or bags of leslies http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-p...-plus-bags.htm

I added them in over 4 days early last week sun-wed ish I was relying on a tab chem tester as I did not have the TF 100 yet. Pool was the same cloudy gray before and after the shock.
    19,300 gal
    Inground - Vinyl
    Hayward S200 Sand Filter
    Hayward superpump 3/4 HP

8. Back To Top    #8

That is cal-hypo and with your CH already being high, that is the last thing you should be using.

That 11 pounds has added 49ppm of FC and 35ppm of CH ... according to PoolMath.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

This makes sense... That is why I won't be going to the pool store without some knowledge and numbers ever again... I plan on following what woody said above by grabbing some liq chlorine/bleach from the store and starting the slam process for the next few days... I should have been using liquid and keeping my shock FC high enough which I wasn't aware of when opening a few weeks ago.

I wasn't able to get a test in this morning before work...but had the same blue cloudiness I have had for the past week...shallow end (4ft) was just barely visible. I will test around 6pm again when I get home.

Does this sound like the right idea? Thanks again for your time!
    19,300 gal
    Inground - Vinyl
    Hayward S200 Sand Filter
    Hayward superpump 3/4 HP

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes. You need to SLAM using liquid chlorine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator