Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge filter element question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge filter element question

I noticed that there are several choices for replacement cartridge filter elements (pleatco, unicell,filber,etc.) Does anyone have any info as to which brand (if any) use the lowest micron rating? Does any manufacturer have anything down around the 5 micron rating?
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge filter element question

I have heard of many issues with Pleatco. The fabric is not the same quality as Unicell or Filber. But I don't think any will filter down to 5 micron. Why is that important to you?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    I have heard of many issues with Pleatco. The fabric is not the same quality as Unicell or Filber. But I don't think any will filter down to 5 micron. Why is that important to you?
    It's not "important" but given the choice of 15 micron element vs 5 micron I would try the 5 micron. I think it would be nice to achieve filtration levels close to DE without the hassle of DE
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

It don't think it is possible with a cartridge. Plus the human eye can't see much below 100 microns so I don't see the point.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

For anyone interested, I did find that hayward carries various rated filter elements. https://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/p...14_11503_C.htm

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks echo, that's interesting. I didn't realize that they sold pool cartridges in micron ratings.

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Another option to increasing the filter capability of a cartridge is to add some synthetic DE (cellusose fiber), to a cartridge filter, I've done it in the past and it's worked well. It comes off when you clean/rinse the filter out.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Another option to increasing the filter capability of a cartridge is to add some synthetic DE (cellusose fiber), to a cartridge filter, I've done it in the past and it's worked well. It comes off when you clean/rinse the filter out.
    Can you elaborate on how this is done? I am interested ... aside from opening day my water has looked great. and I have time to tinker around I would like to try and polish the water further.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Just don't use real DE as that will ruin a cartridge filter.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    For anyone interested, I did find that hayward carries various rated filter elements. https://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/p...14_11503_C.htm
    Those cartridges are not for standard pool filters so I don't think they would work for a SwimClear. They are for the CFLV filter:

https://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/c...14_11503_C.htm
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

add cellulose (such as fiber clear) to the skimmer, you don't need to add all that much, maybe enough to raise the PSI 1 on the filter or I think the instructions state add one Fiber Clear cup at a time to the skimmer per the instructions.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida