Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to clean

1. Back To Top    #1

How to clean

I have green algae around the jets in the pool. This surface is very rough and it will not brush out. How do you suggest I get it out. My thought was to get a spray bottle and fill with liquid chlorine and spray it directly on the areas. Any suggestions!! My pool has never been green and i can't figure out why the algae would just be there.
    In-ground 16x32 Gunite with ceramic tiled waterline. Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 420 cartridge filter, Rainbow Model 320 Automatic Chlorinator, Polaris 280 & Polaris 3/4 hp booster pump, Amerlite 500 watt pool light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to clean

Small wire brush? Pumice stone?

We like test results, too, so we can help figure out why it is there!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

It sounds like you have more than one water chemistry issue.
    Rough surface is probably calcium scaling - how have you been chlorinating your pool?
    Algae is indicative of insufficient FC.

I'd recommend you get one of the recommended test kits, SLAM the pool and then due with the roughness.

Also, you have 2 other threads here and here, in future please post related questions in the same thread as it allows us to follow your 'story".

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm new!!! FC 4.0, CC 0.0, ph 7.6, alk 90, Cal 220, CYA 40, Sat Index 0.0 I use a Taylor 2006 Test kit. This is my third year taking care of my pool.
    In-ground 16x32 Gunite with ceramic tiled waterline. Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 420 cartridge filter, Rainbow Model 320 Automatic Chlorinator, Polaris 280 & Polaris 3/4 hp booster pump, Amerlite 500 watt pool light

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Nothing in your test results indicate an unbalanced pool. Just to clarify, are you talking about algae growing "around" the openings that return water into your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes the return jets and where the polaris hooks up!! To me it is very odd as I have never had a green pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I am calling it algea as it is a green color

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

A picture may help. As someone suggested above, it may be a combination of calcium scale and algae imbedded within the scale.

My "guess" solution (without seeing pics or identifying it further) would be to lower the pool below the returns and then use a wire brush and acid to remove the scal and, subsequently, get rid of the algae that is embedded within.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School