Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light not working.....never removed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light not working.....never removed

Ok so I have had my pool open for a few months now.....the pool light does not work. I had a bad algae problem when opening this year. I have just left it alone and maintained the pool. From what I have been reading, I should clean behind the light fixture and make sure there is no algae behind the light and also try and replace the bulb. I am just really nervous about removing the light under the water....I understand that it is watertight and I won't get shocked. The conduit is about 14 inches above water level. Any tips/suggestions on to remove the light and also the best way to clean behind the light? I assume there will be pool water behind the light. Thanks!
    12,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light not working.....never removed

The light itself is watertight (the fixture itself is not watertight at all, just a hole in the pole really) and hopefully the light is on a GFCI breaker. I would turn off the breaker to the pool subpanel before you do it just in case.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

3. Back To Top    #3

Removing the light is usually very simple. There is typically a single screw holding a trim ring in place. Once removed the fixture will come right out of the niche. There should be enough cord to place the fixture on the deck while you brush out the niche. A few lights are more complex, but most are very simple.

As weird_tolkienish_f suggested, make sure power to the light is turned off before trying any of this.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have never heard of removing the light to clean behind it. I sure hope no one is advocating this as it's only going to lead to other issues. However, since your light doesn't work, then yes you need to remove it to change the bulb and/or figure out why it's not working.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    I have never heard of removing the light to clean behind it. I sure hope no one is advocating this as it's only going to lead to other issues. However, since your light doesn't work, then yes you need to remove it to change the bulb and/or figure out why it's not working.
    It's recommended here quite often because it's a hiding place for algae. What issues should we be aware of?
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I just have never seen or heard of anyone removing the light to clean behind it. I would be concerned that someone might pull on the cord too much and cause a leak or something else. I've cleaned many green pools and never had to remove the light. Interesting.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,