Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG: Natural stone and concrete underwater

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG: Natural stone and concrete underwater

One side wall of my pool is formed of natural stone and concrete (see picture attached, taken while empty). I don't lose water, so it must be pretty well-sealed and watertight. I'm considering switching from liquid chlorine to SWG. Should I worry about corrosion? I'm not worried about the aesthetics of minor surface damage either above or below the waterline. But could I experience more serious damage and/or difficulties with maintaining water quality?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0116.jpg
    20K painted concrete (white) IG, Californian beach down to 4.5' freeform, Rock/stone wall and waterfall on 1 side
    Hayward SP2616VS pump Triton TR100 sand filter, Aquabot Aquaclean robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG: Natural stone and concrete underwater

Welcome to TFP!

You won't have any problems with salt below the water line at typical SWG salt levels. However there might be salt damage above the water line, where evaporation can concentrate salt to problematic levels. How significant the damage might be varies with how resilient the stone is. Softer stone, typically sandstone and flagstone, is fairly likely to have damage, while harder stone is often fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG: Natural stone and concrete underwater

Jason

Thanks. Very helpful.
    20K painted concrete (white) IG, Californian beach down to 4.5' freeform, Rock/stone wall and waterfall on 1 side
    Hayward SP2616VS pump Triton TR100 sand filter, Aquabot Aquaclean robot