May 28, 2014
KY
Hi, I was needing some advice on lowering PH. After 5 partial drains my CYA is finally down to 70, FC 5, TA 110 and PH has been slighty increasing but has leveled off at 8.0. I've never used muratic acid so I'm a little nervous about my vinyl liner. I've seen various you tube video's where some people put in in all one spot and other scatter it around in the deep end. But I'm also curious about the dry acid PH down type and the proper way to put it in. Or do I need even need to be concerned about getting the PH down to 7.8 or so since it has seemed level off and has stayed the same for several days? I would appreciate any advice!!

I would worry less with the liquid as there is really no possibility of it sitting on the liner in one place.

Using liquid is easy, but you do have to be careful of the fumes. I carry the sealed bottle to the deep end of the pool and immerse at least half the bottle before I remove the cap. I then just tilt the bottle and pour some in, recap the bottle and dip it down to rinse off any that may have clung to the bottle. I would suggest kneeling down fully so you are stable before you start.

You can actually see the cloud of bleach in the water and it mixes/dissipates quickly.

I don't measure as that is just a way to cause an accident. I add lightly, as I can always add a little more.

You do need to get the pH down. Maybe target 7.5.

The way I add MA is to dip a bucket (around 2 gallon) in the pool, then I pour one or two cups of MA in the bucket. Then I pour the diluted MA from the bucket into the pool in front of a return. If I need more MA, I repeat the process. Then I brush the pool, which stirs up and mixes the water. I have no concerns about my liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, muriatic acid is a much better option. More potent and much less cost.

If you do use powder either add it slowly in front of a return or broadcast it lightly across the pool while the pump is running.

When adding any strong acid, even a liquid (Muriatic Acid) pouring slowly over a return you should still lightly brush the area (sides and floor) where you pour to ensure thorough mixing. Until it's mixed, the acid is denser than water and can pool at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.