Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Down

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Down

Hi, I was needing some advice on lowering PH. After 5 partial drains my CYA is finally down to 70, FC 5, TA 110 and PH has been slighty increasing but has leveled off at 8.0. I've never used muratic acid so I'm a little nervous about my vinyl liner. I've seen various you tube video's where some people put in in all one spot and other scatter it around in the deep end. But I'm also curious about the dry acid PH down type and the proper way to put it in. Or do I need even need to be concerned about getting the PH down to 7.8 or so since it has seemed level off and has stayed the same for several days? I would appreciate any advice!!
    18,311 gal. 17 x 32, vinyl, in-ground, 1/2 hp hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Re: PH Down

pH 8.0 is the maximum reported by the test. Your pH may be higher, I strongly suggest you lower it immediately.

Also, pH tends to go up in a pool, I'd recommend bringing it down to 7.2.

The recommended way or adding muriatic acid is to pour slowly in front of a return.
    Dry acid is more expensive and adds sulphates, thus it is not generally recommended.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would worry less with the liquid as there is really no possibility of it sitting on the liner in one place.

Using liquid is easy, but you do have to be careful of the fumes. I carry the sealed bottle to the deep end of the pool and immerse at least half the bottle before I remove the cap. I then just tilt the bottle and pour some in, recap the bottle and dip it down to rinse off any that may have clung to the bottle. I would suggest kneeling down fully so you are stable before you start.

You can actually see the cloud of bleach in the water and it mixes/dissipates quickly.

I don't measure as that is just a way to cause an accident. I add lightly, as I can always add a little more.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

PH Down

You do need to get the pH down. Maybe target 7.5.

The way I add MA is to dip a bucket (around 2 gallon) in the pool, then I pour one or two cups of MA in the bucket. Then I pour the diluted MA from the bucket into the pool in front of a return. If I need more MA, I repeat the process. Then I brush the pool, which stirs up and mixes the water. I have no concerns about my liner.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I agree, muriatic acid is a much better option. More potent and much less cost.

If you do use powder either add it slowly in front of a return or broadcast it lightly across the pool while the pump is running.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

When adding any strong acid, even a liquid (Muriatic Acid) pouring slowly over a return you should still lightly brush the area (sides and floor) where you pour to ensure thorough mixing. Until it's mixed, the acid is denser than water and can pool at the bottom.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"