Posts not vertical

The rope along the bottom has untied or broken, not good. It is there specifically for that reason you have experienced, to keep the legs from pushing out. The newer models of the pool have that feature, older one do not.
Going to need to find a way to pull those legs back in, and put the rope back into place. You may have to drain it.

For an 18' pool, you would need 60' of rope or a strap. One idea you may try is a "ratchet" strap, personally I would get a 2" wide one for the extra strength. Any trailer place, big box hardware store sells them. Menards, Fleet Farm, Home Depot, Loews, or semi trailer parts outlet.
The longest you can get is only about 30' at best, most are only around 16-20', so you need to get enough to do 60' feet.
May seem like over kill, but you need to suck those legs back in and hold them in place.

What does the side opposite this one look like? I'm wondering if your pool is not centered.

Also, if you try the ratchet trick... don't try to pull the legs back underneath with the ratchet. You could bend them putting that kind of force on them which WOULD lead to catastrophic failure. Just get the ratchets tight enough to keep them in place.

My Intex is 3 years old now. Not only do I have the rope on the bottom, but my strap around the middle isn't anything like that. I think my legs are through the strap, not in a sleeve connected to the strap. I could be wrong though.

I'm in my 3rd summer now. One side, about 3 legs, are splayed out but only slightly. Nothing like those pictures. I leveled everything and if I recall 3 years ago, I had another inch just in that small section to take out yet when we got rain. Then the pool was delivered, the weather cleared, and I forgot about leveling another inch in that section and laid the foam and put my pool up. It hasn't been a problem at all but again, is no where near what those legs you show are.

My water level is exactly 1 inch different at this section of 3 legs.

MAC.DBLUES: I have not counted the number of legs that are not perpendicular to the ground. Off the top of my head, I'd guess maybe 10% of them, spread pretty evenly around all sides of the pool. When filled, one side was about 2.5 inches higher than the other side, so I simply took a spade and scooped some dirt/sand out from under the legs on the high side, so now it's only 1 inch off level. Making that change did not affect the angle at which any of those legs stood. The ones that are splayed were probably splayed when I started to add water. I just didn't notice them being splayed.

I don't know physics too well, but on one hand I can see how having legs splayed would be a good thing in that it pushes the circular metal frame inwards. On the other hand, I can see how having vertical legs perpendicular to the ground would provide support to the side of the liner, which seems to be the point of the white band around it.

I'd hate to think of the damage that 48 tons (11 foot radius squared x 3.14 x 4 foot depth x 7.48 gallons x 8.345 pounds divided by 2000) of rapidly moving water would cause to my house and fence if it were to fail catastrophically.

I called Intex customer support, but the foreigner I got on the phone spoke English so poorly that she failed to understand what I was describing, no matter how many different ways I described it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MAC.DBLUES: When filled, one side was about 2.5 inches higher than the other side, so I simply took a spade and scooped some dirt/sand out from under the legs on the high side, so now it's only 1 inch off level.

This is your problem. You lowered your legs but didn't lower the bottom of the pool. Because of this, the liner isn't hanging on the frame properly because the frame is closer to the ground than it was designed to be. That is why the sides are bulging out and pushing the legs out. Technically, your pool is still 2.5" out of level, even though the frame is level. The ONLY way you are going to solve your problem is to drain, disassemble, level the ground under the whole pool, reassemble and refill. Intex makes everyone think you can just eyeball level and throw their pools up. But they are careful to say to select a level area (not select the "closest" to level area) in your yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
My straps were nothing like his either. Mine legs were placed behind the strap, and not in a sleeve. The sleeve design looks a lot more secure. I would like to know if anyone with the same strap design as the OP has the rope.

Our pool has the sleeve for the legs and a rope at the bottom. The pool was purchased this year, but I think it was actually manufactured last year. The white strap that goes around the pool is situated about a foot higher than the pool in this thread.

My straps were nothing like his either. Mine legs were placed behind the strap, and not in a sleeve. The sleeve design looks a lot more secure. I would like to know if anyone with the same strap design as the OP has the rope.

Pretty sure the 20' Ultra we bought and used for two seasons (last season and the year before) had sleeves like this and no rope. We install on level cement and never had an issue.

We bought ours last summer and it has the rope and sleeve.

Would agree that the center is off though.

The directions make it sound so easy and setup in an hour!!!....haha. I invested waaaaay more time and money than I would have imagined in setting up my pool correctly. Of which I am obviously glad that I did.

I drained the pool last night. Now I will attempt to "mini-level" the ground by lifting one side at a time. If that doesn't work, then it's complete disassembly and moving it off to the side (major P.I.T.A.). Wife REALLY wants this up and running for July 4. Hmmm.

Are you guys feeling the effects of now HURRICANE Aurthur?

No.

Am refilling now.

The bottom of the pool is now a bit "lumpy", as all I did was lift up the high side temporarily so I could get under it and shovel sand/dirt out. Also dug out room for some pavers on the low side and put them under the legs. I get the nagging suspicion all I've done is make it worse, but we'll see how the water settles in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.