Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Trouble!!

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Trouble!!

30,000 vinyl pool.
    Pool store says I have 10 ppm of cya, I added 8 lbs of stabilizer at open (6 weeks ago), and have been using trichlor to get my cya level to around 40 around 15 lbs this year. I also use bleach to shock at night.

Why would my level be 10 ppm of cya after adding that much stabilizer?

Am I getting "pool stored"? And yes, I know I need a better test kit other than the strips.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Trouble!!

Welcome to TFP!

There is a reason we always say we do not trust pool store testing ... they often defy common sense.

Invest in one of the recommended test kits and understand your water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. Does anything "eat" stabilizer? Based on the residual stabilizer at open and the 8 lbs I added, I should be a lot higher than 10 ppm, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh another thing, I just dumped the stabilizer in the skimmer, is this bad? I have a 60 sqft. DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a bacteria that will concert CYA, but only over winter it seems. Did you backwash soon after adding the CYA? We don't recommend that method.

Odds are the testing is just bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

No I did not backwash.

Thanks for your reply.

6. Back To Top    #6

Jean,
    They usually recommend putting the stabilizer in a sock and hanging it front of a pool return. Not directly into the skimmer.
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The bottom line is that if the pool store says your CYA is 10 it really means your CYA is in a range between 0-500. When we say their results are worthless we aren't making a joke.

Adding the CYA to the filter works but you cannot backwash for a few days. It also takes at least a week after adding CYA to see it on a test.

Finally, you wouldn't mention that "I know I need a better test kit" if you didn't know we would tell it to you and that you are intentionally ignoring this advice. I'm busting your chops a bit on it because I was saying the exact same thing a few years ago and since I wised up I haven't had a single problem with my pool. Please consider learning from my bullheadedness.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I was guilty of the same error as Donldson, I "participated" here for almost 6 months while I worked on using up my test strips. Truthfully, I even bought a second round of strips when the first ran out.

By the time I got a real test kit my "freshly filled' pool was up to CYA 130 and I had persistent grass-like algae on the steps where circulation was poor. While I had not been "pool stored" yet I would have been come the first bit of warm weather.

I still had to drain and refill to lower the CYA and then re-balance the water afterwards. I am certain that had I bought the test kit first I could have easily saved that much in water and re-balancing chemicals 6 months later.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.